Have you ever read other blogs and wondered how some women do it all? How do they manage the "perfect" family, the "perfect" marriage, the "perfect" house, the "perfect" body, time to drive their multiple kids to multiple activities (dance, sports, music, art, etc.), church callings, the gym, being on the PTA, running a side business, publishing their own book, making their own CD, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. Do you ever feel inadequate after reading some of the blogs out there, and feel like you're chopped liver? I just don't see how some people have this amazingly wonderful life ALL the time, and everything's just roses ALL the time. Sure nobody wants to read anything negative or depressing, but let's get real here people. One of the hardest things (for me) is to not compare myself to other moms my age. I've never really excelled at anything. I've always been mediocre. My GPA in high school and college was so-so. I can't say there's one thing that I can do really good-I've always been just average. And I don't want to make it seem like my life is perfect and all hunky-dori on here, because it's not.
Why do some women run themselves ragged? Their calendar is so full they have no time to stop and breathe! I see all the different things they are involved in, and their children are involved in, and I don't know how they do it. I think some women feel like they need to be doing millions of different things in order to be a good mom. Well, I've made it a goal of mine to never let that happen to me. Sure it's great to have our kids involved in sports and other things, but I think it's important to draw a line. Pick and choose. Make sure you give them enough time to just chill at home and play with their brothers and sisters, and have creative "imaginary" time. I don't want my kids to feel like they're on a schedule all the time. I also don't want to over-indulge, over-stimulate my kids constantly so they expect it constantly. Financially we're not in a spot right now to do a lot of the things other parents are doing with their kids, so we just try to keep things simple. If we start trying to keep up with everyone else and give our kids more, they'll keep expecting more, and I don't think that's the answer. I want them to appreciate what they have, and not just expect to get everything they want right that minute. I want them to know that sometimes we don't get what we want. Sometimes we have to be patient and save up a long time before we can get something. Sometimes we can't have everything our friends have. Sometimes life isn't fair. I want them to be thankful for what they DO have, because we really are so blessed and have so much.
As a mother in "Zion" I'm not perfect. I have so much to work on. I love my kids to death but cannot wait for school to start again. Sorry, I'm not one of those moms who thoroughly enjoys having her kids home every day all day and has just one big happy family. The kids are fighting right now as I speak. I'm not that good of a mom to say that they're just so cute and happy all time and I just love being around them and love being a mom. Sometimes I need a break from being a mom. Sometimes I think I'm going to go nuts and have to escape. Sometimes I yell. Sometimes I wish Ryan were around more. Sometimes the days are extremely long and I get impatient with my kids and just want the day to end. Sometimes I feel like I can't do everything that's required of me. The list seems so long, that something's just gotta give. And so I DON'T do it all.
So I guess the important thing here is to not compare ourselves to other people. Things may not be how they appear. Wonder Woman does not exist, although some women come pretty darn close. We each have our own gifts and talents and things we're good at, and some may not be as obvious as others. We're still growing, we're still progressing, and there are still more gifts to be discovered as we get older. We're all at different places in life, and I guess we just need to do the best we can with what we've been given and try to find joy as we do it. Who cares what so-and-so is doing, because what we're doing right now is just fine.
(sorry-I needed to vent-I'm on one today!)
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









4 comments:
I totally agree with you!! When I started blogging I felt like the worst mom. I compared myself with everyone. But then Gage taught me that blogs are not always what the portray (sp).
I agree with keeping the kids to busy. I feel very strong about keeping my kids home. I don't attend all the playgroups and all the other stuff going on because then my children are never home and they don’t get the "mom" time they need. I could go on about this for hours. The best thing I have done with my children so far is letting them stay home and enjoy playing with each other.
I have always looked up to you. You are an amazing person, mother and wife. Thanks so much for your example. You have such a cute family and have done a wonderful job with them. Life is hard, being a mother is hard, but we all do the very best we can and when it is all over, hopefully we will look back with a smile and be thankful for all that we have learned.
Thanks Christina-it was really good to hear that. Thanks for being so REAL and genuine. You've got it together, and I agree with you 100%!
I couldn't agree more!! I was reading this and the music was going and I just started to cry. I hurt because you worry you're not doing enough. I hurt when I see women running themselves ragged and then still never feeling good enough. "Please know that you are enough." That is what one of the speakers at Women's Conference said. She gave a beautiful talk. I have kept that in the back of my mind.
I love that you don't do everything. I am the same way. How can we teach these kids all the important things we need to teach them, if we aren't around each other? Family is the central unit of society. So, if that is true, where must we learn the most important things for life? In our homes. That is why our homes are so sacred. We should long to be there, with our family.
In my mind, loving your children, teaching them, and knowing when to just let them BE are all signs of the "perfect mom". So, for all those out there who have these qualities, take heart. You ARE the perfect mother.
Take some time at the end of the day sometimes and think of the good things you did for your family. Sometimes just keeping your cool, for once, and not blowing up at a kid is a great accomplishment. (this is one of mine) Choosing to laugh when it really isn't that funny. Giving someone a break.(mostly myself) Then, I think, "Maybe I can do one thing tomorrow, too." And I feel good and can sleep, knowing that I did enough.
I love you Erika. You are strong and brave, and more than enough.
PS--sorry about MY rant!
Thanks Nikki-you're awesome.
Post a Comment