Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

FREEDOM

Today I am thankful to live in this beautiful, FREE country, where we can have a say for the leadership and laws of our country and VOTE. I'm so grateful for our founding fathers and the good, religious men that they were. I know that the Lord inspired them in all that they did. It's too bad we couldn't have those kind of men running for president today. Sometimes I just don't know what to think. Sometimes it's hard to know what's truth and what's not. I went and voted early last Thursday at the library thinking that I'd beat the rush today, but I still had to wait in line for 40 minutes (with Christian nonetheless, but luckily he behaved). I'm not one for sharing my political views too publicly out of respect for those who may not agree, but I can't help but share a little of how I feel today.

I did try to vote for who I thought are good, righteous (as righteous as politicians can get) people that want to uphold the constitution and preserve our liberty. I know there are so many of us that realize the cost of getting leaders in that don't have our best interests at heart and how this will effect our future. I'm not talking about our economy or even our security, but our freedoms that we hold so dear--our family, our religion, and the moral ethics this country used to have. I am proud to be a citizen of the United States of America and believe that our Constitution should not be amended, changed or tampered with in any way, that it was put in place by righteous leaders being guided by who they put their trust in - God.

It saddens me to see members of our church who can't and don't agree with the Proclamation to The Family, who don't agree with what we have always believed in about families and marriage. Sometimes I hear people say that things the prophets have said are "outdated." NOTHING the prophets have said or revealed, such as the Proclamation, is EVER outdated. It's sad to me to hear about all the picketing that has gone on in California at our own temples, and the people who have been put to tears as they've been harrassed by these angry people. But we must hold fast to these things we believe in. We can't just give in to what the world wants. What will it be next? That murder is not a big sin? I have so much respect for those people in the church who have gay tendencies and don't give in, those who work so hard to overcome these tendencies. I'm sure it's an incredibly hard thing to do, but is overcoming temptation ever an easy thing? These challenges and temptations are part of life. Are we to just give in to them, throw in the towel and say it's too hard so I'm just going to do it since there are so many other people doing it anyway? I'm so glad I don't live in California anymore. Sorry, I had to put my own 2 cents in about this.

I get a little worried when I read in the Book of Mormon about the cycles of peace and war. Our nation has been blessed for a long,long time. We've been properous, just as in Book of Mormon times. Except for the war in the middle east, things seem pretty peaceful here, at least to me in my little world. Unfortunately, we know we can't have peace forever though, and we know there are to be hard times ahead. So even if our government and laws go a little sour, if we as individuals and families hold fast to what we know and believe and stay firm in the gospel, then I know without a doubt we'll somehow be okay and the Lord will help us along in our righteous efforts. "No unhallowed hand can stop the work from going forth" as President Monson recently said. So if we end up getting not-so-good leaders for our country, we can at least find comfort in the fact that we have a truly inspired prophet as the head of our church, and I know he will give us guidance, comfort, and strength when we need it.

GOD BLESS AMERICA...LAND OF THE FREE & HOME OF THE BRAVE!

7 comments:

Anita said...

Amen!! Good thoughts. Thanks

Afton said...

I'm feeling the same way you do about California these days. Wow, things are so crazy there and how hard it must be to be in the middle of this prop 8 thing right now.

I'm sure we will see this issue in our state before long though, and then it will move to other states too. We will eventually all have to deal with it.

Nikki said...

Right on, Sister! Couldn't have said it better!

Erika said...

Congratulations to all my Obama friends out there. As Kitti once said, we can all still be friends, right? Of course right. May God continue to bless America.

Erika said...

BUT, I am tired of hearing Oprah Winfrey! I woke up to her voice on the radio this morning...is she president or something? Why do they make such a big deal over Oprah Winfrey? Why were they putting her on and not Obama? Because she has lots of money and power? I stopped watching her show looooonnnngggg ago and really hope we're not going to have to start hearing from her more now that her "best friend" is president. Sorry, just had to add that too.

Afton said...

Well, Oprah certainly didn't seem to have preferred seating at the acceptance speech last night. She was squished in there with the rest of the VIP's. Every time they showed her on camera, smashed up against some guy, I thought she probably hasn't had to be that physically uncomfortable and close to other people for a long, long time. I wondered if she thought she could have donated $200K to have a VIP box built with leather chairs and cashmere blankets and little gifts under the chairs for her best friends that she would have invited to sit there with her.

Other than that, I thought Obama's speech was really great and I like how he talked about humility. I just hope he carries that same humility and strength with him for the next 4 years.

Dorri said...

Erika, I'm with you there on Oprah, too much!. Listening to Obama's speech last night gave me hope, hope that it won't be as bad as I've feared it will be. But I also was very impressed by McCain's speech last night, if only he had talked like that earlier on in the campaign, oh well. It is incredible that our country has come so far, makes you wonder what's next, a woman as president, a mormon for president? Who knows, but these are exciting times.