Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Good Books

I am so thankful today for books, especially good ones! Lately I have read some really great ones that have been very touching and satisfying. Last night I finished Princess Academy and totally loved it!! Shannon Hale writes so beautifully. I then began Emeralds and Espionage last night and could NOT put it down! It's the first of a series of many by Lynn Gardner (who is LDS). I have a feeling I'm not going to get much done today, because I have GOT to find out what happens next!

Other books I have read recently that I gave 5 stars and would highly recommend are The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Katherine, and Pope Joan. One thing I love about all these books is the main characters in them who are women, or girls, and how they start out thinking they're nothing special and eventually become something so wonderful. They are able, through their goodness, to accomplish some really great things. They are able to show love to others when love is not shown to them. I know these are just books, but I really felt inspired by them, like I can do whatever I put my mind to doing. "Where there's a will there's a way." Sometimes I think I'm a wimp about certain stuff, but these books have taught me about bravery and standing up for what you know to be right.

There are so many good books out there, yet so little time for me. I'm sure you all feel the same way. There is one more book that I cannot fail to mention, and that is, of course, the Book of Mormon which was written by the forefathers of the American Indians, buried in the ground for 1400 years, and translated by our latter-day prophet Joseph Smith. We have been told by Joseph Smith that "this is the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book". I believe this to be true with all of my heart. This book may have been written thousands of years ago, but I know it was written for us TODAY. How thankful I am to have such a precious book in my possession. How thankful I am to even be able to read. I take so much for granted. But not today. Today I am thankful.

2 comments:

Afton said...

I love the books you mentioned. Witch of Blackbird Pond really amazed me. Did you know that it was the only Newbery Award winning book that was voted to win unanimously?

I think Shannon Hale really has a way with words. They paint a beautiful picture and convey beautiful ideas...strength, courage, love.

I have Katherine sitting on my stack to be read, thanks to your recommendation.

I think you would LOVE The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy by Clare Dunkel. The first book is especially my favorite (The Hollow Kingdom.)

The other book I am pretty sure you would love is one I just finished called "Daughter of the Forest" by Juliette Marillier. It's the retelling of an ancient Celtic legend about a sister who's 6 brothers are turned into swans and she can save them by making shirts out of this thorny bush. Also, she can not talk until all 6 shirts are completed and put on the swans. I can't stop thinking about it. It's the first in a trilogy, but I haven't read the other 2 yet. Did I mention there is the sweetest romance in the story too?

Finally, (as if this comment is not already long enough...) thanks for mentioning the Book of Mormon. It is truly the one book that has changed my life the most. It's amazing how simply reading words can have such a profound affect on a person, but I know it's not "just" reading. I know when I read the book, the spirit can teach me wonderful things about myself and my purpose here on earth.

What other book can claim to do that?

Erika said...

Those sounds like AWESOME books Afton! I want to read them all right now they sound so good!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Ü