Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ring in the New Year with a Good Book!


My very favorite book that I read in 2008 was "Daughter of the Forest" by Juliet Marillier. I can't thank you enough Afton for recommending this book to me! It is the first book in the Sevenwaters Trilogy, and perhaps the best of the three. This is the kind of book that stays in your mind and your heart even when you're not reading it and long after you are finished. If you're looking for an incredible love story, then this is it. If you are looking for adventure, you've got it right here. This book also has some wonderful Celtic tales that are very interesting. I won't tell you much about the book because I think you should just read it yourself and find out, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. I will warn you though, there is one scene that is a little disturbing a little way into the book, but you'll know when it comes up and you can skip over it if you like. Just warning you! I also LOVED the second book, Son of the Shadows, and I would highly recommend that one when you are finished with Daughter of the Forest. The third and last book, Child of the Prophecy, in my opinion was not as good as the first two, but it ended well and tied everything up nicely.

So Happy New Year and here's to reading! Enjoy!

1 comments:

Afton said...

There are few books that affect me like Daughter did. It just had all the elements that make a story gripping and unforgettable. I loved the themes of true love...and not just between the main character and the man she eventually falls in love with. I also thought the love the brothers had for their sister and that she had for them was truly amazing.

I'm pretty sure you will also love "The Hollow Kingdom" although it's a little lighter than "Daughter" but just as meaningful.

I'll e-mail you a few more suggestions. :)