We have been taking advantage of Ryan's spring break, trying to catch up and do things we've been wanting to do for quite some time now. Yesterday, it was the Draper Temple Open House. I feel like I need to take every single opportunity I can to teach and show my children the importance of going to the temple. It was a beautiful day--everything about it. We checked the kids out early from school and headed down to Draper. We first went to a chapel there and watched a short video about temples and the history of Draper and then they took us on a shuttle bus up to the temple. It was great to see so many other people with their kids doing the same thing. I really didn't want to miss this opportunity for my kids to be able to see inside a temple.
It's amazing how even though the building wasn't dedicated yet, we could still feel the peaceful, special spirit that dwelled there. It was neat to sit in one of the sealing rooms together and hear about the importance of sealings and to look into the mirrors together. It made me so grateful for my family and for the fact that we are sealed. I hope my kids felt the same way. It was nice to show them that temples aren't just a big mystery or a secretive place, but that they are very beautiful, simple, and sacred, that they are a place to show great reverance. The kids behaved very well, but by the end they were happy to get refreshments and to be able to relax and talk. The boys were bouncing off the walls by then, not able to hold it in a second longer, but we had so much fun and I'm so glad we were able to spend the day together doing something so worthwhile. It seems like forever since we have.
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









2 comments:
I went to the Draper temple with my young women's group. It was nice. We have one girl who is a new member, so I was glad she could go. I loved the reception area with all the temple pics and huge pics of the Savior! It didn't look like a church gym! We took our boys to the Rexburg open house. It was a great experience to have them all there. I got a little glimpse of the future heaven on earth that awaits when we can all be in the celestial room again when they're grown. I'm sure they didn't catch it being so young, but there is a wonderful spirit there they were sure to feel. I remember going to the Boise temple open house. I was 9. I remember riding in our neighbors van (it was the 'really cool' kind that had running water and the back could fold out to a bed). And then I remember the mirrors and chandelier. My sisters only remember it vaguely, one only remembers ice cream at McDonald's after! Funny what sticks isn't it. But, it's about making those connections so you know you want to go back someday. So glad you could share that with your family!
We went to Wendy's after and the kids (and me) were so thrilled about that (I was starving--their BLT salad hit the spot). So I hope my kids remember more than that! Ü
Post a Comment