Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Thursday, May 28, 2009

That Which Does Not Kill Us Makes Us Stronger

Isn't there a saying that goes something like "Life is a roller coaster: it has its ups and downs" or "Life is a roller coaster: ride it." Well, we were riding it along and feel like our roller coaster just got derailed and hit a tree. At least that's how I feel, but as time passes I am realizing that things really aren't as bad as they seem and that challenges make us stronger for sure. Disappointments create humility. And the more I think about it, the more silly my disappointment seems. Well Ryan got his MCAT score...a 28. Really, that's not a bad score. It's pretty average and it will get him in somewhere. BUT, all of Ryan's last practice tests before he took the real thing were 34-35's. We're just a little disappointed because we know he's capable of more than a 28 and deep down we were hoping for something a little more.

So Ryan scheduled to retake the test next month. He wants to give it one more shot. This means that our summer plans have come to an abrupt halt. Ryan is now back at school today, in his "veal stall" trying to get back in the study mode. I am now dreading school being out. I have had to reschedule our vacation to Moab for a later date. Our happy, care-free summer plans are now on hold until after the MCAT. We always talked about the possibility of Ryan retaking and I thought I just could not go through that again, but now that it's a reality, I'm actually okay. These changes in our plans are really minute and through lots of thought and prayer I'm totally fine with all this. Ryan pointed out to me that maybe this is happening so the Lord can see how we react. Are we choosing to be bitter because our prayers weren't answered the way we wanted them to be or are we choosing to have a positive attitude and continuing faith? We're already joking about it and laughing at the whole thing. Prayer can change the night to day. It's interesting how challenges automatically draw me to the scriptures--what would we do without them??? I'm so thankful for them and the lessons they teach me from people who endured much more than I ever will. I'm thankful I have them to go to whenever I need to draw strength from them or need an uplift. Disappointments are really hard to deal with sometimes, but if we can learn to have the right outlook, they will no longer be the disappointments we thought they were. They will be learning experiences and isn't that what this life is all about? Carry on!

7 comments:

Afton said...

In a few years, this will be a blip in the grand plan. And you are right...our trials do make us stronger. Carry on indeed!

Nikki said...

Right on Sista!!! Thank you for making the "good choice" as we say at our house. Only blessings (whatever they may be) will come from keeping a positive outlook. I am sorry you have had a little heartache. It's not fun to be disappointed, but you guys are on the right track. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

Nikki said...

PS--I forgot to write you are an inspiration to me.

Roger and Stephnie said...

You guys are so amazing! You always look for the positive and just keep moving forward. I'm glad your summer plans will only be delayed for a month!

Dixon's said...

I think that was Gage's score. I remember those exact feelings. Gage decided not to retake the test. Now that I look back I know why he got that score. We were suppose to be in Kirksville. Don't get me wrong he went to a great school and had a great education. But we were set on Virgina and a couple of other schools, but it just wasn't right. Please call me if you need to talk. Good luck with everything.

Erika said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! Life goes on and we'll see what happens!! Ü

Emily said...

I erroneously believed that if you followed God's plan, that the path would be paved and clear along the way because I was making sacrifices for God. So far, not only is my life harder, but it is definitely not paved and clear. And....I know that it is where I am supposed to be and lessons that are being learned can only be taught with the refiners fire. I'll tell you one thing, I totally get the pioneers that traveled to SLC and lost their families along the way, starved and sacrificed. Sometimes God chooses to make us great by refining us and testing are resolve. You can do hard things and not only will you be better for it, but your children are learning from your example.