Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, June 22, 2009

I Think I Can!


Looking through pictures I downloaded from our camera, I found this little gem. This was taken the second to the last day of school. The first graders were having a relay race around the track. The night before the race Gretel shared her feelings with me about how she really, REALLY wanted to win a gold medal but didn't think she could. We had a nice little chat about believing in yourself and about doing the very best that you can. This seemed to help a little, but she was still very concerned and very determined (that's our little Tilly!). Well they had their race in the morning, soon after which I get a phone call. From the school. Telling me that Gretel passed out and I should come see her. Apparently she had been so determined, and tried so hard, that after the race she passed out on the track. She gave it her all, bless her little heart. So I quickly drove to the school and found her lying on the bed in the nurses office. She was fine. I was just a little concerned because this is the first time any of my kids had passed out. Her knees got scraped because I guess she fell forward on her knees first, but she was okay. I asked her if she wanted to stay at school or come home. She chose what I'm sure every child would choose and came home with me. I pampered and doted over her with pleasure the rest of the day. Oh, and she didn't win a gold medal...she won a silver! She was so pleased and we are so proud of our little Tilly. She's a precious one.

1 comments:

Roger and Stephnie said...

Gretel is definitely a go-getter! She proved that when she was the only one to memorize the sacrament prayer in our primary class-- that is incredible for a 7 year old!