Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bathrooms and such

Photobucket
Most of our house is put together now except for a couple places--our master bedroom and our garage. Those will come with time as I can find the time to work on them. I am posting some pictures today of our two bathrooms and the living room (not to be confused with the family room Ü). We are sure enjoying the luxury of having more than one bathroom. We are also loving having two living spaces--family room for TV watching, sitting by the fireplace, and lounging; living room for music making, studying, visiting. After living in our old rental, with clutter everywhere and no where to put everything, I made it my goal in our new house to make it as simple, clean, and noncluttery as I could...with a beachy flare, of course. Oh what fun it is to make a house a home! So here you go--another glimpse into our "cottage" by the beach (that sounds a lot more appealing than "house", no?). Next up will be the family room and kitchen, but those will have to wait until I have time to photo them in the daylight, when they're clean! But for now, come inside our home, if only from afar, and see what we've been creating these last few weeks.
Photobucket
Before
Photobucket
After
Kids bathroom:
The walls are painted in Silver Sea by Valspar (Lowes). White, slightly distressed, cabinets custom made by a cute guy named Ryan. Sink curtain made out of white Kona Cotton by yours truly (found at Hancock Fabrics during one of their killer sales). Beechwood countertops from IKEA (great price there!), stained in walnut by me, sprayed several times with lacquer by Ryan. $30 sink from Lowes, $20-something faucet from Lowes. I couldn't believe the cute inexpensive things we came upon! Who needs expensive? Seersucker shower curtain from Target. White honeycomb tile with gray grout from Home Depot--my favorite part of the room.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
love this photo from Etsy-surfer on the beach
Photobucket
Ryan took out the tacky faux wood medicine cabinet, framed the whole in the wall with some leftover trim, and we came up with this! Perfect place for Gwen's sand dollar collection.
Photobucket
Master bath before
Photobucket
Once again, I chose to do a sink curtain. We saved money that way. I simply used small tension rods found at Walmart or Home Depot to hang them. Piece of cake. More of that to come in the kitchen Ü.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Our bathroom had a tacky medicine cabinet also. Ry took it out, drywalled the space, and instead I have the perfect spot for my vintage floral picture...found on Etsy, of course.
Photobucket
One thing I adore about my bathroom is my soap dish. I found this a couple years back on Ebay when doing a search for vintage enamelware. I thought it was the cutest little thing and that it would make the perfect soap dish someday. Kind of goes with the picture on the wall, don't you think?
Photobucket
Living room before
Photobucket
After: It's amazing what nice light fixtures, nice trim/crown molding, curtains, and cute furniture can do! (ceiling fans are a must in Virginia)
Photobucket
Ignore stuff under table--still trying to figure out where I want to put them. Couch was purchased during Downeast's Clearance Sale this summer. A good find that I know we will enjoy for many years to come. The little white table is from the DI, painted and glazed by my Ry, and the brown table Ryan made for me years ago and I will treasure it always!
Photobucket
It was a happy day when Ryan hung the violins back up. That is something I missed in our old house. I found the chairs on KSL Classified--the lady's husband is a doctor and had pitty on me I think so she gave me $75 off! Wow!
Photobucket
Photobucket
I never realized the difference the new front door would make from the INSIDE of the house. The little windows add a little light, and just the new door handle alone makes a huge difference. Ryan took out the vinyl flooring in the entryway and put in wood flooring.

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

blog n' tell said...

I am loving all of your transformations...Really love your bathroom tile!! What a charming little beach cottage you are creating!

Jen Howick said...

i am loving all the before and afters!!! amazing job! It's inspiring me! I've got my eye on a couch from Downeast as well... love that place!

Roger and Stephnie said...

Wow-- you guys have been really hard at work since you moved in! Your home looks wonderful! It is so fun to see what you've been up to since you left. Take care and good luck with everything out there!

Jen Howick said...

I got my mirror in my kitchen inspiration from you as well. I never would have thought of that! You're so amazing! ;)

Page said...

I love your home so far!!! We just made some major improvements in our bedroom, and the last thing I need to do is make a curtain for my craft table to cover the crafty stuff under there. I'm sure I could find a tutorial, but is there any trick to making them??

Erika said...

Page-I don't sew very well so I just kind of guessed on the curtains. I used double the material for the space so if the opening was 24" I used 48" of fabric, or more if you want the curtain more full. I sewed the sides then did the top fold thing for the rod to go through. I then hung it on the rod under the cabinet and eyeballed how long it needed to be. The first time I made one too short. I think they look goofy too short. Better to have them too long. So I then pinned them and sewed the bottoms. I didn't measure anything and they're not perfect, but they came together quickly for the little time I had and I am pleased with them! You better post some pictures on your blog. Sounds cute.