Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Utah/Nauvoo 2011

I am in the midst of a whirlwind of emotions, thoughts, memories, feelings, so much on my mind that I can't sort through all of it. We recently spent 2 glorious weeks in Utah with family and friends. It felt like heaven and the kids did not want to leave. There was indeed, just as I had predicted, much weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth as we left. It was most hard to see my kids saying good-bye to their cousins who were all there to see them off. They couldn't stop hugging each other. As we drove away, all four kids were sobbing and the car was quiet. I held in my hand a paper towel Ryan had quickly got for me after we had family prayer before leaving my parents house as I was a blubbering mess also. The crying eventually stopped, but it was several hours before I could let go of that paper towel crumpled up in my hand. It was so much harder to leave this time than it was the first time, almost a year ago to the day. I didn't want to leave my mom, dad, sisters, and their precious kids. But we had some fun times and memories that we will never forget.

As we made our way back to Virginia, we stopped at Winter Quarters, Nebraska. The visitor's center was across the street from the temple and cemetery. It was the perfect pit stop to help us refresh and stretch our legs. We then drove over to the Kanesville Tabernacle and met an older missionary couple who were from Driggs and knew my brother and sister-in-law! (the Hoffmuzz's or something like that--she taught Harrison). We then made our way to Nauvoo, IL, a small town that seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere, not exactly what I had expected, but incredibly special nonetheless. The place was just oozing with the Spirit. Being there made me feel so much closer to those early prophets and saints, like I know them better now, and that feeling has not left me. Having visited there has made my love for the gospel increase in a way that is indescribable.

So to put things in a nutshell, what a really, really good trip for our family. We are all still going through Utah withdrawals. I wish I would have taken more pictures but I was so busy relaxing and enjoying being on vacation that I didn't take time to do it. Even though it's hard being back in VA and adjusting to real life again (most of all work-ugg!), I am thankful for this experience here and for the places we have been able to see because of where we live and the places we will be able to see in the future that are so enriching and such testimony builders for our kids. It is precious moments like these that can be life changing.

Photobucket
Gretel and her favorite cousin, Matsyn
Photobucket
Boys working at Grandma and Grandpa Adams'
Photobucket
Tilly at Willard Bay
Photobucket
Gwen at Willard Bay
Photobucket
Pierce and Grampy in his workshop
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This picture was a major coincidence! All three girls just happened to be wearing the same color shirt that day, and they just happened to be the same color as the paint Tilly picked out for her cradle Grampy made her.
Photobucket
One of the joys of the trip was sitting in my parents backyard watching and listening to all the birds. All of their birdhouses are full of babies--so precious!
Photobucket
The teenage girl cousins were inseparable!
Photobucket
Five of the eight Dale girls (should have got Leslie in there too!!)
Photobucket
There's my Les!
 Photobucket
Pierce wanted to get a picture with Grampy before we left.
Photobucket
The girls having dessert at Grammy's.
Photobucket
Chrissy bonding with Reeve (who is the cutest little boy on the planet)
Photobucket
Boy cousins chillin' at Grammy's.
Photobucket
Pierce and Owen
Photobucket
Winter Quarters, Nebraska
Photobucket
Christian was not happy at Winter Quarters, can't remember why.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Look real, don't they? See the real deal below.
Photobucket
Winter Quarters Nebraska temple
Photobucket
The spirit that we felt at Winter Quarters cheered Christian right up.
Photobucket
Kanesville Tabernacle, Nebraska
Photobucket
The beautiful Nauvoo temple!!!
Photobucket
We spent one night in Nauvoo. When we got there the kids had had it with 18 hours in a car, so we skipped sight seeing for the night and decided to just swim instead.
Photobucket
After a restful night, hot showers, and very thorough teeth brushing (something one tends to forget to do while on the road for hours on end) we were all wide-eyed and bushy tailed, ready for a day of seeing Nauvoo. This was our first time visiting and in the several hours we spent there, I think we got a pretty good look at the place. We took a short ride in the wagon with these young oxen...a very bumpy ride!
Photobucket
Photobucket
It was very hot and humid in Nauvoo (as you can tell by my shiny face). After the oxen ride, we hopped aboard another "covered wagon" ride (that was much smoother and more accomodating for tourists) which took us up and down the streets of Nauvoo with a lovely tour guide explaining everything. I'm so glad we did this. It gave us a great overview and feel for where everything happened, and then we could go back later and pick and choose which places we wanted to go in since we didn't have time to see every single place. 
Photobucket
One of my favorite things in Nauvoo was riding down the Trail of Hope on the wagon tour. This was where the pioneers walked as they finally left Nauvoo. They did this willingly, but how sad they must have felt as they looked back behind them only to see the top of the temple peeking through the trees in the distance, knowing they would never return to that place they had put so much work into and loved so much.
Photobucket
Water lilies on the Mississippi were breathtaking.
Photobucket
The Joseph Smith Mansion House, owned by the Community of Christ, as were several other places. This is my kind of house. 
Photobucket
We decided to go hang at Brigham's for a while Ü. I admire his wife, MaryAnn and want to read more about her.
Photobucket
The place where the pioneers crossed. The river was narrower back then.
Photobucket
Statue of Brigham and Joseph at the river.
Photobucket
Joseph, Emma, and Hyrum Smith's graves.
Photobucket
Lucy Mack and Joseph Smith, Sr.'s graves.
Photobucket
There were a few old gravestones in the Smith Family Cemetery that were a little thrashed and not easy to read. There was a sign nearby listing all who were buried, or most likely buried there.
Photobucket
Last stop on our trip was Carthage, IL. Inside one of the rooms at Carthage Jail.
Photobucket
This was "the room" at Carthage. Talk about a special place.
Photobucket
This is "the window" at Carthage.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Stairway going upstairs to "the room".
Photobucket
I can't believe we finally saw this place. It was so neat. The perfect ending to a perfect vacation!
Photobucket
Not quite the brothers that Joseph and Hyrum were (I couldn't even get them to put their arms around eachother), but maybe someday...







1 comments:

Christina said...

Thank you for posting all the Nauvoo pictures. It made me miss Missouri and brought back some wonderful times we had there. I am so glad you were able to visit the church sites, they truly are amazing. If you are ever in Ohio we only live 40 minutes from Kirtland and would love to see you. :)