If you've ever wanted a child to not bear his/her testimony, you'll appreciate this one!(In the Mormon church, we have testimony meeting once a month, and anyone can bear their testimony to the congregation. Some kids start early! At a recent testimony meeting, a five-year-old little girl stood up and bore her testimony. After mentioning everyone and everything she was thankful for, she ended with this: 'I am especially grateful that our house has been much happier since our family stopped using The 'S-word' and the 'F-word.'' As the little girl proudly walked back to her seat, nobody could say a word. Needless to say they were a little shocked by what the stake president's daughter had just said. Quickly, the red-faced stake president stood up, smiled shyly, and went to the podium. 'I feel I should make a clarification as to what my daughter meant. In our house the 'S-word' is 'stupid' and the 'F-word' is 'fart.''
I was happy to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't allow those words in their home! Sure, they're pretty mild compared to what our kids could be saying, but I just do not like how they sound coming out of a child's mouth! So in our house, yes, the s-word is stupid, and Christian will be the first one to tell me if someone said the s-word! I have NEVER liked the word 'fart'. I could barely even type it, I have no idea why! It's one of those words that is just gross to me. We were never allowed to say it in our home growing up. We usually said 'blip' instead. I smile to myself just thinking about it. Kind of funny!! In our home now, we say 'toot'. I much prefer that word over all the others. It sounds more sweet and innocent-just how we'd like our kids to be. I know this probably will not last forever, especially as the kids get older, but for now I'm firm in this and the kids know that if they slip, the 'hot stuff' (tobasco sauce) is ready and waiting! Is that too harsh?
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









2 comments:
Erika, I just saw your comment on our blog. So fun to be found by friends! Thanks for stopping by. Your family is beautiful.
I laughed so hard at this post. Funny stories are my favorite part of testimony meetings. (In addition to the testimonies, that is.)
my kids are always letting me know that the other said the "s" word too. But in our house the s-word is stupid or shut-up.
Kids do say the funnies things. A couple of years ago in primary we were talking about saying nice things to our siblings. We asked the kids to think about (not tell us) when they have hurt their siblings feelings by saying something mean. One little girl's hand shot up and she blurted out, "I told my sister this morning that her eyebrows looked ugly, and they really did". All the adults in the room started laughing and we couldn't stop.
Post a Comment