Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Friday, April 11, 2008

While the Cat's Away, the Mice will Play!


Last night we had the pleasure of attending our Ward Temple Night. When we go, we usually just have Gwen babysit and pay her a buck or two. She's usually very responsible for her age. The key word there is USUALLY. Last night before we left, I never mentioned anything to Gwen about paying her, so I guess her motivation to keep the house clean and do her babysitting duties was lacking. So when we returned home, I couldn't believe what I saw! I just stood in the doorway of the kitchen and all I could say was "Oh my goodness!" It looked like some kind of disaster had hit our little house. There was stuff everywhere-dirty dishes, food wrappers, strawberry stems, popcorn kernals-you get the picture. Every light was on in the house and the movie (Waterhorse) was booming in the living room. I could not believe my eyes. I had to quickly start cleaning up because it was making me nauseous! Ryan started up some dish water and did all the dishes (no dishwasher is such a joy) and I picked everything up and vacuumed the living room. As Ry and I were cleaning up,(the kids were brushing their teeth and getting ready for bed-and mind you this is 10:00 at night-yes, late for a school night) we kept discovering things the kids had gotten in to. They had devoured a bag of chips and a bag of popcorn-both looked like they had been ripped open by wild beasts; I had a flat of strawberries and they ate 3 of the plastic cartons of those, leaving the stems strewn all over the house. This morning when I opened the freezer I noticed the corn dog box was open, so I closed it. As I was shutting the freezer door I noticed one of the corn dogs had apparently fallen out of the box, so when I picked it up I just had to laugh so hard! Some RAT had gnawed away some of the FROZEN corn dog! I couldn't believe it! But, then again, I could, and I knew exactly who the little rat was-CHRISTIAN. Last night he was playing with a red paint pen in the office and splattered it on Gwen's new shorts that she was wearing for the first time. I also found it splattered on our Santa Claus DVD, the computer screen, and the desk. All of this distruction and mass food consumption has one name written all over it-CHRISTIAN.

Now please don't criticize my parenting skills too harshly. I know there are a lot of things wrong with this picture. I informed the kids before we left that they were to eat their dinner (corn dogs and strawberries (one carton only)-I know, corn dogs are horrible, but they make a quick meal on temple night) and then after dinner they could make popcorn for a treat while they watched Waterhorse. I didn't encourage Gwen like I should have on the babysitting thing, I just said she was in charge, so I think she thought she didn't have to worry about things and played the computer half the night. Yes, maybe we should have gotten a babysitter, but that's a big hassle, and Gwen has always been really good. And maybe we'll reconsider going to the temple so late on a school night. (gotta support that ward temple night though! I made some recommendations on what to change next time to Ry)

So the bliss of our temple experience was quickly drowned out when we returned home last night. But I love my little kiddies so much-I smile just thinking about all of this. It's nothing that can't be cleaned up or fixed. They are my treasures and my joy. As Ryan and I were talking about this when the kids were asleep in bed last night, I said that I would have probably done the same thing when I was little if I were in Christian's shoes. Those strawberries were just calling his name, and he loves food just as much as I do, so I can't be too harsh. So that was our adventure in parenting last night-I just had to share. I thank Heavenly Father each and every day for my children and that I get to be their mother. They're good kids and I wouldn't trade them for anything!

0 comments: