Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, May 19, 2008

LIFE


I can't stop thinking about a funeral I attended on Saturday. The funeral was for George Wright, the husband of my Laurel's (or was it Miamaids?) teacher back in Healdsburg, CA. These two had such an impact on my life at such a crucial time in my life. Out of all my church leaders I've ever had, Melinda (and George) are the one's who have stood out the most to me. George often came in our class and would participate in giving the lesson. He and Melinda were amazing together-so powerful, and so full of the spirit. I always went away from class feeling so good about life and myself. I always looked up to them so much, and wanted to have what they had someday. It had been 15+ years since I had seen Melinda or George, or their kids for that matter. I was amazed when I saw all of them again. My, how time flies and how fast children grow up! Their kids were just little when I last saw them, and I couldn't believe that they're all grown up now with children of their own. It made me feel so old! It was kind of a wake-up call to me, that hey, MY children are going to be grown with families of their own before I know it. I need to enjoy the life that I have RIGHT NOW because it won't always be like this. Who knows what the future will bring. Who knows how my children will turn out. Who knows what challenges may come our way. It made me realize that I need to teach my children even more than I am now. I need to be a better example to my children. I need to strengthen our family bonds even more by doing more TOGETHER, and making lots of happy memories that some day we'll be able to look back on with great fondness. I need to be more patient with my family. I need to be a better listener to my children. I need to not always be in such a rush. Life is so precious. At the funeral, all of George's family wore white to represent his new beginning. It was so beautiful. The funeral wasn't all gloomy, it had a happy feel to it, even though, yes, many tears were shed. They were celebrating his life, and knew that they would see him again. I hope that's how my funeral will be someday. So after Saturday, I just have a new appreciation for life, a new determination to do better. I'm so grateful for all that I've been given, for a wonderful, patient husband who will do anything I ask of him; for great kids who show me so much love, for the gospel that keeps me on a steady course, for loving family all around us, for this little home that offers us everything that we need, for the knowledge I have that our family is eternal, for a healthy body that allows me to do everything I want and more each day, for the beauty of the earth all around me blessing me with it's wonder, I'm just thankful for who I am, even though I'm a work in progress, I'm thankful for the road I'm on, and hope to be a little better each day. I found this poem that I just love:

Life is a gift, make the most of it.
Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is beauty, admire it.
Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is fragile, hold it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is precious, do not destroy it.
Life is life, fight for it.

-Unknown

4 comments:

Dixon's said...

I loved this post!! You are such a great example to me and so many others. I have learned so much from your example and feel so blessed that our paths have crossed.

Heather said...

Erika, I'm so glad that you shared your feelings this way. I could have written the exact words because they are so true for me too. I have tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. As always, the Wrights have not let us down, they are always teaching us a valuable lesson! I haven't stopped thinking of them and feeling like George is on my shoulder saying "do better" etc...I am so glad I was there. I'm using this same subject as my Relief Society message for this month's news letter and I'm going to steal your poem!

Erika said...

Heather-feel free to steal away-it's an awesome poem! You made me get a lump in my throat just reading your comment, so we're even! I keep thinking about Melinda and how strong she was at the funeral-I wish so badly I could be strong and confident like her. This has been an experience I won't soon forget. I hope I never forget.

Erika said...

Christina-thanks-you made my day!