Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

This Little Piggy


I've always been anti-pets but I'm growing to tolerate them a little more in my old age. Two years ago, as a reward for good violin practice, we got Rascal for Gwen. Rascal is a cute, chubby little (big now) guinea pig. This is as far as I go for pets-for now. I don't like having to take care of them, or worry about them. I'm pretty much the primary care giver to our little piggy now. The novelty has long worn off for Gwen, but she'll feed him if I ask her to. The gross part is cleaning out his cage. Guinea pigs are supposed to be the least smelly of rodents, and they are, scooping poop is just not my idea of fun. So I have to tell you something really cute about Rascal. Since I'm usually the one that talks to him and cares for him, he recognizes my voice. Whenever I enter the room he starts whistling this high-pitched whistle. It's the cutest thing! Sometimes it's very urgent-the other night I thought he was going to blow a gasket it was so loud. Ryan heard it all the way in the bathroom and he said, "Is that Rascal?" He couldn't believe it. Sometimes if I'm not even in his room, and I'm talking loud or raising my voice, Rascal will hear me and start whistling for me. He whistles because he wants either attention or food. I'll usually go get him some carrots and celery when he does this, and that makes him content. He also loves his Timothy Hay. It's so cute to see him munch on these foods. He loves me to pet him and comb his hair. Guinea pigs are very personable and make good pets. So all in all, I guess I really am happy to have him. I wonder how much longer he'll live. They can live up to 6 years I think. I guess we're in for the long haul!

0 comments: