Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Trap

I bought the book "The Trap" by Karmel H. Newell from Deseret Book and Ryan read it to the kids for FHE this week. It is a story to help teach children modesty and protect them from pornography. It is excellent. I was very pleased with how the book kept our children's attention all the way to the very end! (they are ages 5-11). The book has beautiful illustrations, and is told in a way that is very easy for children to understand. It's a cute story between a father and son and a wasp trap. It gave a chance for us to have an important discussion about our bodies and the importance of being modest, and also about pornography-especially on the computer. It felt so good to have this discussion with our kids, and the whole time I was thinking that I hope this sinks in and I hope they remember this!!! The world is a crazy place, and they need constant reminders and warnings to help keep them on a good path. I'm so grateful to have the gospel and all the teachings and guidance that come with it so that I can pass that on to my children. I'm grateful we've been advised to have Family Home Evening each week with our families. THIS IS A MUST!!! I feel so strongly about this. This is our chance to teach our children what they need to know, what will make them happy, and we need to start when they are young or it will be too late. It is truly inspired. So I would highly recommend this book. I'm so glad my children were so receptive to it.

1 comments:

Heather said...

We just had a lesson in RS about Pornography and I am always freaked out about it. I am in the process of getting a filter on our computer-you can never start too young! I am definately getting the book from Deseret. Thanks for the tip.