Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Friday, August 22, 2008

How Are They Gonna Make It?

I have been concerned about the future of my kids. It seems that everywhere I turn I hear of a child falling away from what they know to be right and true. And with most of these kids it's been around the age of 18. Some of them (mostly girls) were as straight as an arrow, did everything they were supposed to, just really good kids and so sweet, and then all of a sudden something happened and they went off the deep end. Total shocker! I can't believe some of the things I've found out lately about certain kids. I'm stunned. So I'm thinking, how in the world are my kids going to stand a chance? How are they going to make it?

We (well I did) may think we're more sheltered here in Utah, but not necessarily. I've been worried about our move for medical school when the time comes. We don't know where yet, but I've been really worried about living out-of-state, somewhere where there aren't as many members of the church. I'm just worried for our kids' sake. I know what it's like to live where you're the only member among all your friends. I know of the loose morals, lack of direction, and lack of religious beliefs that are out there among kids. But I'm discovering that we have that here too. And you know, I'm not so worried or afraid to live out of Utah anymore. I'm actually looking forward to a change. I'm worried about my kids, but I know that if we teach them all we can and help them build strong testimonies, then maybe they'll stand a chance. I have faith in them. But if things don't turn out how I want them to, I'm prepared for that also and find comfort in my knowledge of the atonement and the plan of salvation.

Does anyone else out there have the same thoughts and feelings? I'm curious especially for those who live outside of Utah, what are the schools like? Are your kids able to find good friends? Do you think it differs much from Utah? Where is your favorite place you've lived? Please feel free to share your thoughts and feelings.

6 comments:

Anita said...

I don't have a lot of experience with raising kids here yet, but I have notice a few things I am thankful for. We have come upon lots of opportunities to teach the kids things I had never thought of before. I like to have them realize that they are different than everyone else here. Not everyone has knowledge of the gospel and I think they are already realizing how special it really is to be a member of the church.

Afton said...

Hi Erika, Thanks for the comment on my blog. First to answer your question about kids and the gospel. I have heard from church leaders several times that we need to provide spiritual experiences for our kids. We need to help them to feel the spirit, then point out what it is they are feeling. If they can learn to have a relationship with the spirit, or learn HOW the spirit communicates with them, they will be better prepared when the trials come.

I was raised in the church and was a good definition of straight arrow (if I do say so myself :)) When I went away to college there was a point where I had to decide for myself how I was going to live. My parents were not there to make sure I went to church on sunday. If I'd had a late night on Saturday, it was all up to me to get out of bed and get myself to church. I'm not saying that there was ever a huge danger of me falling away, but you know, there just has to be a point where, like in Alma 5, you have that change of heart and where you know who you are and that Heavenly Father truly is your father and that Jesus is your Savior.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense. I had my "conversion" in college and I always look back to that as a turning point in my life, even though I was pretty much living the gospel. But it was because I was taught to search the scriptures, pray and mostly to recognize the feelings of the spirit that I was able to come to that point for myself.

OK, now OREGON! You could not have asked me about Oregon at a better time. I love, love, love this state. We just got back from camping up by Mt. Hood and I'm constantly amazed at the beauty that surrounds us here in the pacific northwest. I love it!

We live in Portland, near Beaverton and Hillsboro and the church is very strong in our area. Also, many people in our neighborhood have strong Christian values and are really great people.

The one thing to consider about this area, however, is the rain. We don't get lots of heavy downpours, but long stretches of drizzle. It rains more "on" than "off" from November through April/May. Then starting in June the sun takes over. I'd say from July through September we have 90% sun and the summers are the best. Mild temps with averages in the 80's so it's rarely too hot to do things outside.

Personally, I don't mind the overcast weather from Nov-May. Everything is green and rain doesn't pile up like snow. Also, if it's raining, that means it's at least 32 degrees.

I love living here, but I do know that so of my California, Utah and Arizona friends have a hard time during the winter and spring.

Sorry to make such a long comment, but I'd be more than happy to answer any other Oregon questions you have.

Take care,
Afton

Heather said...

I feel your pain, sister. It's been on my mind alot lately. Am I in the right place doing the right things to make the best environment for my children? Are they going to be strong enough? I believe in FHE and doing things together often to increase bonding time. I also believe love and trust between parents and children is HUGE! I look at Kelly's parents and their children and they did some really great things for Kelly that I know are essential to a successful, spiritually grounded child. They were always there to listen to him, support his hobbies and talents,loved him reguardless of bad choices, and his mom was very strong and faithful when things were hard. They never judge their kids even though they do not all believe in the church. I really admire them for raising a great man. Everyone has their own style but love is always the key. It is rough being a parent. Now is the easy part. We just have to pray like the prophets of old that they will be safe and that they will come back when they decide to be rebellious. You and Ryan are wonderful parents and I know you will have strong children who will do great things! Keep the faith!

Erika said...

Thanks guys! Wise words from wise women. Very comforting. You all made very good points. Thanks for sharing your thoughts-and as they say here in Utah- 'preciate-cha! Ü

Page said...

Hello, I read a comment of yours on my sister's blog (Reagan and Tyler), and happened to check out your blog.

I grew up in Northern Virginia and was the only active member in my grade. Being the one and only actually helped me to stay strong! My religion and morals were what made me unique among my peers, so I didn't have any need to do anything crazy to be unique.

I read that you're training to become a medical transcriptionist. My husband is in his first year of medical school, and I've thought about doing the same. Would you mind telling me how you're doing your training, and what you think the best way to go about it is?

Thanks!
Page

Dixon's said...

Hey Erika,
I just have to say that I LOVE, LOVE living outside of Utah. The only reason we would move back is for family. It is hard not having help from family (especially during medical school) but I feel we have grown closer as a family because it is only us out here.
I have so many wonderful non-member friends and so does Brinley and Garret. I have really enjoyed living in the mission field and not being scared to tell people about our religion.
I served in the young womens Gage's first 2 years of Medical school and those girls were amazing. They already had strong testimony's because they really had to know for themselves if the church was true. We also had some pretty remarkable young men. The kids were such good examples to the community (most of them played school sports).
I could go on forever about this, but I have limited time. Please feel free to call me with any questions you have.