While I'm on this organization kick, I have felt the urge to take inventory of my food storage and get that in order. Right now we don't have a ton of room for our storage. We have it scattered between our garage and a storage room we have in the back of our house. I've never had a 1 year supply like we've been counseled to do, but we have at least a 3 month supply, if not more, and that satisfies me for now. I went and purchased a couple things that I've been wanting that we didn't have such as water drums, extra propane tank for the BBQ, backpacks (I've been using other storage bags and tubs-backpacks are on sale this time of year), and a hand grain mill for grinding wheat. I've created an inventory form for all of our food items so I can keep track of those quantities. For water I've just been filling empty juice bottles all these years, but I'm glad to finally have some drums to fill and keep outside. A couple things we still need like an emergency radio and camp stove will just have to wait for now, but it's so satisfying to see what we do have and to know that we're somewhat prepared. Anything could happen.
"We can heed warnings. We have been told that many had been given concerning the vulnerability of New Orleans. We are told by seismologists that the Salt Lake Valley is a potential earthquake zone. This is the primary reason that we are extensively renovating the Tabernacle on Temple Square. This historic and remarkable building must be made to withstand the shaking of the earth."
"We have built grain storage and storehouses and stocked them with the necessities of life in the event of a disaster. But the best storehouse is the family storeroom. In words of revelation the Lord has said, “Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing” (D&C 109:8).-Gordon B. Hinckley
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









2 comments:
You have inspired me to get back into emergency prep. I have 3 anemic backpacks for the kids. I used to pick up a thing or two every time I went to the store, but I've totally stopped. I don't even remember whats in them. And hello! We have 5 people in our family, not 3. Ugh. Great quote...now is the time to prepare.
When we moved here, I finally got our official 72 hour kits done. I have food, and a lame first aid kit, and I didn't have anything for Chan cuz he wasn't around when I did the other stuff. I found backpacks at DI and used last year's school packs. It does feel great to know those are ready to grab and go! One thing I found that was cool was at Walmart. It's a whistle, compass, thermomether in one. It was only $3 something, and is very functional. It works great to send with scouters, too...
I also added some card games in mine. Nothing takes your mind off a bad situation like Uno or phase 10! Oh, and chocolate. I don't care if it's stale. Chocolate is always soothing.
Post a Comment