For our Labor Day holiday today, we spent all morning laboring over pears! The kids were eager to help which made the process go quicker. I've made it a goal of mine to teach my girls how to can, as it seems it is a dying art these days. To me there is nothing more satisfying than home canning and being self-reliant!
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









4 comments:
You are the WOMAN! I am proud of you Erika! I haven't canned anything since my newlywed days. I don't have fruit to can but I've been thinking of sauces! Wouldn't that make dinner so much easier? So, maybe that should be my goal...well, keep up the good work!
Way to go on the pears! I wanted to can pears too, but honestly, I over did it on the peaches. Really. I'm out of quart jars and am going to have to buy more. I thought I'd NEVER run out of quart jars because someone had given me a ton when they moved.
Maybe next year.
My tomatoes are just starting to come on and I'm going to can those, make and can salsa, and then later...applesauce.
I'd be happy to send you my salsa recipe. I use it mostly in cooking, like making Spanish Rice and when we have tacos and burritos. For chips, I much prefer fresh salsa to this canned stuff. It's good, but it does call for a lot of vinegar.
Since I use a water bath canner, I try to follow the recipe exactly because I don't want to, you know, kill my family. Actually, I have had compliments on it from other people eating it with chips. But for me, I think it has a little vinegar taste.
E-mail me: aftonsmail@verizon.net
Erika, can I get that canned salsa recipe, too? I want to can some, but didn't know of a good recipe.
Post a Comment