Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, September 1, 2008

Order In The House!

I've made it a goal this school year to have more order in our home. I've always considered myself a pretty organized person, but sometimes I let things get away from me, and then I get mad at myself because I wasn't more organized. Last year I always felt like there just wasn't enough time in the day for the kids to do everything they needed to, and this caused unnecessary stress for me always rushing around trying to help each of them with their "stuff". Between chores, piano practice, violin practice, baseball practice (when in season), scouts, achievement days, and homework, we were always running short. So as a family we've decided to rise a little earlier in the morning so we would have more time to do what we need to. So far this has been great! I'm not an early riser, but I like the results thus far, so I can handle getting up at 6:30 (we really need to do 6:00, but this is good for now). The kids all set their alarms and get themselves up which in itself has been a Christmas miracle! They get dressed, do their music practice (this is a little tricky with 2 violinists & 3 pianists, but we've learned to juggle and take turns), do their chores, eat breakfast, brush teeth and hair and then they're out the door at 8:00 to catch the bus. Something we missed a lot last school year was morning prayer as a family. We didn't always sit down together, I'd just get everyone their breakfast when they were ready to eat, which was always at different times, so we ended up not having prayer together. Morning family prayer is so important, I don't know why I let it slip. I've also insisted that the kids have me sign their planners and look over their papers THE NIGHT BEFORE, not in the morning as we're rushing to get out the door. This has saved me a ton of that "school morning stress". Why couldn't I have been more disciplined last year? See? Sometimes I just let things get away from me! But things are so much better this way. The kids come home, have a snack, do their homework, and then they have oodles of time to play, relax, and do what they want.

Two things that haven't changed are our dinnertime and bedtime. Call me a Nazi, but we eat dinner at 6:00 sharp each evening. We shower/bath/brush teeth by 8:00, so by then we're ready to sit down and read scriptures and pray, after which the kids are in bed by 8:30. I'm very pleased at how smoothly things have been running due to this schedule. I hope I (we) can keep it up and enjoy more order in our lives!

This makes me think of the scripture in Mosiah 4:27-"And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order."

0 comments: