Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Little Miss Pre-Teen

Last night Ryan and I got a taste of what it will be like having a teenager in the house, because Gwen was sure acting like one. It was quite entertaining, actually. See, her good "friend" of a few years, Dalton, invited her to his 12th birthday party. I've mentioned Dalton in a previous post--he's a great kid and such a cutie. Ryan knows his Dad and they're a good church-going family (otherwise I may have second thoughts about this-I'm not prejudice against people who aren't of our faith, but it definitely helps to know that he is). He has called Gwen on the phone a few times, so I've had the pleasure of talking to him. It totally brings back memories of when I was in 6th grade and started liking boys and what it felt like. Well, Gwen was definitely giddy last night, let me tell you! When Ryan came home she asked him if she could go to the party (she had asked me, but I wanted to see what Ryan would say), and she was so excited and hyper that you could hardly understand a word she was saying. Ryan told her "yes" and boy did that make her happy!

Now don't worry, Gwen is not the only girl invited to this party. Dalton invited a few of Gwen's friends also. The party is going to be at "Toads", which is a miniature golf place, and then afterwards they're going to Dalton's house to watch a movie. And I'm really not worried about that, because I'm sure they'll just watch something like "Camp Rock" (I actually enjoy that movie myself, but that's another post), and Gwen said she's going to ask Dalton today what movie they are going to watch and let him know that she can't see PG-13 (I'm so proud of her). Gwen has already chosen what she is going to wear, and has consulted with me on how she should do her hair. Oh boy! Here we go! Miss pre-teen USA! I know some of you may think I'm crazy, but I'm actually very excited for her. She's such a delightful girl and very helpful to me, that I feel she deserves to go and have fun with her friends. We can't hold them back from everything forever.

So question for you now--what in the world do we get a 12-year-old boy for his birthday? Gwen said he likes sports--soccer specifically. Any good ideas out there? Just some fun little thing, maybe with a bunch of candy or something??? I'm blank. I'd love any input. Thanks.

3 comments:

Heather said...

That is so cute! I can't believe what I'm hearing though. Can it be that little Gwennie Girl is growing up? Say it isn't so! My idea is a movie ticket. Everyone loves to go to the movies so just get him a little gift certificate to a local theater.

Anita said...

I agree with the movie ticket. Or maybe a McDonalds giftcard.(Or wherever).
You guys are good parents. I'm nervous for that stage of life.

Erika said...

Thanks ladies--great idea. We went to Tinseltown yesterday and got him a gift card there and put it in a little gift bag with a bunch of candy. We're set!