Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Happy (early) Halloween!


I feel like we celebrated Halloween last night and now it's over! Ryan said he would be perfectly content if last night was all we did this Halloween. We had a really good time at our ward party. Ryan and I had fun dressing up, and yes, we chose to be Jamie & Claire from the book Outlander. I just wore a dress I already had, and wore my Claire ring that Ryan got for me last year for Christmas. Yes, it is supposed to be a replica of the wedding ring that Jamie had made for Claire shortly after they were married. Jamie spent what little money he could muster up on that ring so he could make Claire officially his. So sweet! We rented Ryan's shirt, kilt, and plaid wrap. The costume shop was a mess and didn't have what I hoped they would have, so I ended up buying the sporran and hose online, and then I made the ribbon flashes that are on his calves. I must say that he looked pretty authentic to me! He was the talk of the party. There were even other women checking him out and saying he was hot. I couldn't stop looking at him all night. He's a natural Scot! And yes, he does have scottish ancestors on his mother's side of the family. He didn't have the long hair like Jamie, but that's fine with me. I don't really dig long hair. So my fantasy was fulfilled last night and I got to see Ryan in a kilt, and we had so much fun.

We first had a trunk-or-treat then had a chili cook-off and ate chili for dinner. No, I didn't win, but I really think my chili was tasty! Something must have been wrong with the judges (the bishopric--I tried to bribe Ryan, but no such luck Ü). Maybe they burned their tongues on someone elses gross chili and couldn't taste my incredibly delicious concoction! I spent all afternoon making it with loving tender care and let it "brew" for hours on end, but I guess that wasn't good enough for them. Just kidding. I'll put the recipe on my cooking blog so you can try it and tell me if it was really gross. I put chocolate in it, isn't that cool? You use cocoa powder and unsweetened chocolate. You can't even tell it's in there, but it makes it unique, wouldn't you say? Anyway, enough with my failure at cooking, the kids had lots of fun getting their face/hands/arms painted, playing games, and eating treats.

So this was round #1 for us. Round #2 comes tomorrow for the school parade and I'm sure the kids will come home with more treats, and then Friday we're going to my parent's house in Layton to go trick-or-treating with all the little cousins, and always get loaded up with candy there...SO, with this overabundance of candy in our home this Halloween, the Candy Witch may need to visit our house. Have you heard of the Candy Witch? She comes after Halloween and if the kids leave out the candy they don't want, they can sell it to the Candy Witch and she'll take the candy and leave money for them according to how much candy they leave. Sounds like a great idea!

I hope you all have a fun Halloween with your little munchkins! I'm signing off for a few days, but I'll catch you later.

(Oh, Afton and Heather, my fellow Outlander girls, if you put your cursor on the pics there are captions...I was reminded of Fraser's Ridge with some of the pics Ry & I took..the one with the shed in the background...maybe that was part of the first cabin, or the barn? Oh, and since Ry doesn't have long hair, this could be when Jamie cut his hair off in preparation to fight Jack Randall, and I'm pregnant Claire, I kind of look prego in that dress...not very flattering. I'm silly, I know.)

6 comments:

Anita said...

Sounds like you had fun. I wish our trunk or treat was before Halloween so that we could actually go around trick or treating. o Well, I guess its just more candy we don't need around.

p.s. I'm sure your chili was the best.

Nikki said...

Hey Erika. We had a chili cook off and I didn't win either! (mine wasn't anything special, though!) I love your costumes! You are nicer than I am with the candy. Ours just magically disappears a couple days after halloween!!!!! (my kids will probably catch on anytime now, and there will be a coup at our house when the candy disappears!)

Dorri said...

love your costumes, Phillip won't dress up, ever. Our ward had trunk/treat last sat. I was hoping they'd do it on Halloween, less candy that way. And you are way nicer to your kids about their candy. I go through it after they go to bed, pick about 25 of their favorite pieces, snag a few for me & Phillip and then he takes the rest to work and puts it on his desk for his guys to eat. I just can't handle having a lot of candy around my house it's gets eaten mostly by me.

Dorri said...

oh and I'm sure your chili was yummy, I made cornbread for the first time and it turned out really good. Though I did cheat I used a box of corn bread mix and a box of yellow cake mix put them together and it was great.

Afton said...

LOVE the costumes. I would have never thought to go rent costumes. This might open up a whole new world for me. Yes, it would be nice if Trunk or Treat was "it." We tried the Halloween Witch a few years back and my kids felt totally ripped off that they've never wanted to do it again. I just let them eat candy for a few days and then start throwing it away. I start with the lollipops because the sticks always end up stuck to the carpet or furniture. (even though we have a "no eating in the family room" rule. it's a total mystery how the sticky sticks always end up there!)

Heather said...

You guys look great!!!! I can't wait to see you in person Friday night! I love the kilt-looks good on Ryan. You look very Claire like. Nice to relive the book a little isn't it? They should make a movie!! Pierce's costume is hilarious!