Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Goodies


I give up on making goodies for my neighbors and friends!!!!!! I don't know why each year I feel like I have to try something new, but when I do, it always botches!!!!! I'm so frustrated! From now on I solemnly swear to only make my good old recipes that I KNOW will turn out! I know you're probably thinking that my little goodies look just fine in this picture, and they do, but they have one little problem...I can't get them off the wax paper!!!! They are glued to the paper and I tried sticking them in the freezer hoping it would help them come off, but no such luck. I guess I should have sprayed the wax paper. I was so excited to make these delectable new treats--marshmallows dipped in caramel, then chocolate, then drizzled with white chocolate. But my vision of these goodies has been shattered. I despise them now. I hate seeing them sitting there on my kitchen countertop because I have no idea what to do with them!

So I am so sick of making treats! I feel like just doing nothing. People will know I still love them, right? I may attempt making some cookies that are a good old standby--IF I have the time. Things have gotten so crazy around here that I feel like my head is going to explode. I'm thinking of just going to Bath & Body and seeing if they still have their holiday foaming hand soap pumps on sale and I will just give those. People get so many treats anyway, I'm sure they wouldn't miss whatever measly thing I could produce for them. So anyone have any ideas on what I should do? What are you doing for your neighbors this year?

8 comments:

Afton said...

Oh boy, do I feel your pain. I majorly botched this weekend's chocolate fondue. How can you screw up melting chocolate? Well I did. It separated and was chunky and horrible!! Just horrible. I was so mad with myself I couldn't even get to sleep that night. I hate to say this, but I am pretty sure that, even thought it's a waste, you would feel better if you grabbed the whole bunch of those cute, but stuck marshmallow treats and crumpled them up, wax paper and all and threw them in the garbage. Don't just leave them in garbage under the sink...take them to the big garbage outside. And stomp on your way out there. Make sure you slam the lid down on the garbage can after chucking the failed recipe and dust your hands off very dramatically while saying, "good RIDDANCE!"

Trust me on this one...you will feel much better.

Afton said...

I don't know if the in store sale is the same as the online sale, but Bath and Bodyworks has their foaming antibacterial handsoaps on sale for $3 each online. There is also a "secret" online sale.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=3363810&cp=2484777

This link has a bunch of coupon codes for free stuff, but I'm not sure if there is free shipping or not...
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/bathandbodyworks.com

Erika said...

Oh Afton, thank you for making me laugh, I sure needed it this morning!!!!! I'm so sorry about your fondue. I have often had bad luck with melting chocolate too, I don't know what it is about it, but I do.

A couple weekends ago bath & body had their foam soap on sale for 4 for $10, making them only $2.50 a piece!! So I grabbed 8, but now I wish I would have bought more! They have yummy holiday scents like Vanilla Bean Noel, Twisted Peppermint, Orange Cream, and Winter Candy Apple...the perfect little gift!

Nikki said...

I'm so sorry about your marshmallows! I loved Afton's response!!! That is perfect! Can you get them off with your thinnest metal spatula??? I had this same problem with some caramel apples we made with the young women in Oct. I don't know if there's a wrong and right side to waxed paper, but it is surely frustrating!!!

Maybe you could write an essay, using Afton's ending, and attach that to your friend's revised gifts!!!

Hope things go better on your next treat!

Dorri said...

talk to Camille, she is the queen when it comes to making things like this. She actually made those same treats when her twins were born to hand out to people who came to the luncheon after their blessings. Here is a link to her blog, she's in Park city this week, but if you leave her a note she should respond.
http://joshandjane.blogspot.com/
Oh and the one thing I've learned about chocolate, it's not all created equal. you gotta use the good melting chocolates and even then watch it closely or you can get in serious trouble (personal experience) but don't give up on the treat making, and you have my address, I'll expect my box soon!

Erika said...

HA HA! I decided to make my mom's yummy recipe for chocolate marshamallow cookies with chocolate frosting on top and that will have to suffice! (I don't know why I'm on this marshmallow kick) Anyway, Christian got to the caramel marshmallows to see if he could get them off for me, and he got a bunch off (with wax paper still on the bottom) and he built a little pyramid on a plate out of them. At least they're useful for something, to entertain my 5 year old! Maybe I'll try them again next year when I might have some lovely Silpat liners to put them on, but for now I don't even want to think about them! Once the kids get home from school I'll let them have some for a snack and then I am going to do exactly what Afton said!!! Good riddance you blasted marshmallows, and I'm thinking of tossing the darn box of wax paper out with you!!

Dorri said...

oh I think that Camille uses parchment paper, but I'll have to ask her

Afton said...

I went and got those soaps at B&BW for 4 for $10 the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I used them for prizes for bunco, which was maybe the one thing that salvaged the evening. Actually, I got much better b&bw prizes for the bigger winners, but the soaps were the consolation prizes. I had a left over Twisted Peppermint and Orange Cream that I love.

Glad I made you laugh, but don't throw out the whole thing of waxed paper because I was just at the store today and they didn't even carry waxed paper and I'm wondering if it is becoming an obsolete item. It is good for layering between frosted sugar cookies and this Christmas (more self torture)I'm going to try and make home made caramels (bought the candy thermometer today and everything) and I will need waxed paper to wrap each candy.

I'm going to have to check Winco for waxed paper.

And, in response to the video on my blog, the doghouse gift I got was a color printer that my husband later decided was not the one WE wanted, and he returned it. I say there was never a replacement gift, but my husband says there was. It was what I bought myself for my birthday a month later (a new outfit). So my replacement Christmas gift was my birthday present.

But I told him I wouldn't bring it up any more. I think he's still very confused by the whole thing but understands on a deeper level that there was something wrong with the present.