Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, December 8, 2008

The Nativity Story










This is such a good DVD! We watched it twice this weekend. It's the kind of movie that lingers in your mind far after you've watched it. Did you know that Catherine Hardwicke (director of Twilight) directed this movie also? I thought it was very well done for a non-LDS movie. It's rated PG for some material that may not be suitable for children, however. It briefly shows some men who were crucified on crosses and trees, and then it shows Elizabeth and Mary delivering their babies and it's just a tad intense for children. Gwen and Pierce were totally engrossed in the movie, where Gretel and Christian weren't really interested. My younger ones found it a little boring. But I love how the movie makes it all so real. It made me think of things that I've never thought of before, like how people must have looked at and treated Mary when they saw that she was pregnant, and the long 100 mile journey to Bethlehem that Joseph walked and that donkey couldn't have been comfortable for a woman about ready to have a baby, yet they traveled that long distance together. Joseph was so sweet in the movie, exactly how I'm sure he really was. This movie will be a family favorite and tradition to watch for years to come!

PS-I just looked out the window and it's snowing! Finally! Now it really feels like Christmas!

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Sounds like one we should all have! Did this come out a couple years ago? I never did see it. Where did you buy it?

Erika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erika said...

I bought it at Walmart. They had it out on one of those display rack thingy's when you first walk in. I think it did come out a year or 2 ago.

Emily said...

I loved this movie too. It felt so real. By the way, how do you know Skye? I saw her album on your facebook. Did you grow up here?

Erika said...

I grew up in Healdsburg, CA and Skye's family was in our ward for several years, then moved when I was young. She went by the name of Megan back then though. Skye must be her middle name. I know some of her cousins from when I lived in Santa Rosa, CA. I somehow came across her blog and love her music! Her family are all very talented-artistically and musically. It is just a small world, isn't it! Do you know Skye?