Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Journals

I can't remember if I've posted about journals before--oh well. I attended a funeral yesterday for my sister-in-law's dad (We love you Anita!) and ever since, I can't stop thinking about the importance of keeping a personal record. Yes, a blog is one way, but something about a handwritten personal record I feel is so important. None of us know when we will be called back "home" and when I go I want to leave behind my journals for my children to read and draw upon. I want them to know how much they mean to me. I want them to be able to learn from my experiences and gain strength from them. I want them to know of my testimony of the Savior and how much the gospel means to me. I think there is nothing more precious that I could leave for them physically than a journal because it is so private and personal and shows my innermost feelings and who I am. Sometimes it's hard for me to find the time to write, but I keep my journal handy in my nightstand drawer so at the end of the day, week, month, whenever, I can quickly pull it out and write what's on my mind. I kind of look forward to that release sometimes. Anyway, I know we've been asked to keep journals for a reason and I intend to do better at keeping mine. After all, there are just some things you can't put on a blog!

3 comments:

Jen Howick said...

I for sure remember you! It's been a fun day of reconnecting with the Adams Family today! Your kids are soooo cute! Great looking family! Tell everyone hello. I'll add your blog to my list of blogs I look at. You guys look great!

Jen Howick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen Howick said...

No way, that's crazy! (about Camille!) I didn't know she was from Santa Rosa. I was actually really good friends with her husband in college. We had a group of friends that was basically inseperable so we were really close. We've stayed in touch over the years and I like Camille a lot - she's super nice and funny and creative!