I do not like the word resolution. Never have, never will. But since resolution means "a decision to do something or to behave in a certain manner" I am going to call these my New Year Decisions. I am deciding to do these things which means I have to do them, right? My decision has been made. There is no turning back. So here are a few. I am writing them down to make it final and seal the deal, and as Ryan reminded us last night at FHE: A goal not written down is only a dream! (I'm not sure who quoted that).
1. Be more organized: Our house is small, making it a challenge to be well-organized. Everything does not have its own place, but we're working on it. Saturday Ryan and I had so much fun getting rid of stuff in the garage that we really don't use or need anymore. The back of my van is full of stuff for the DI. It's an invigorating feeling to throw things away or give them away. We were laughing and having a blast as we tossed stuff in the garbage can. Feels good to weed out for the next time we move. I am also going to go back to writing out my dinner menu each week so I can be more organized with my shopping lists and reduce the stress that comes from deciding what to make for dinner at the last minute. It will also help with the following decision below.
2. Stay on budget: This has never been my forte, but I am forced to do this seeing that neither Ryan nor myself work at the present time (the sell of our house has been a lifesaver). I want to make our money go further--get more for our money wherever I can. If we don't need it, I won't buy it, and if it's a "want" then I will wait and save up for it or reserve it for a special ocassion such as a birthday.
3. Read the Ensign from cover-to-cover each month.
4. Eat right: Self-explanatory. No junk. Sugar is the enemy, as I once posted here. Only good carbs, eliminate all others. Do not overeat or overindulge myself. Do not eat after 6:30 p.m. Drink at least 6 glasses of water a day. Watch my cholesterol. Take my vitamins. Eat more things that grow and less things that are processed. South Beach here I come (thanks once again Afton for the inspiration). This will be a good way to get me back in the habit of eating healthy after all the holiday junk. I checked the book out at the library along with the South Beach Cookbook.
5. Exercise: This is a lifelong decision and should be for everyone. We all know how important it is to get some sort of exercise each day. The overall health of our bodies depends on it. I don't know what I would do without my treadmill. I will alternate walking/jogging Mon-Fri, at least 3 miles a day. I will also do my pilates DVD 3 times a week in addition to that Tues, Thurs, Sat. Ryan and I are toying with the idea of getting a gym membership together this summer once school's out. We'll see.
6. Watch what I say: I will be following Thumper's advice which is: "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all."
7. Go to the temple at least once a month.
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









2 comments:
I love your decisions...there are a few here I think I can decide to do too. I wish I had a treadmill. Maybe one day. I'm going to the rec center today to get a 3 month pass for the indoor track. Hopefully in 3 months I'll be able to go outside for my walking.
great list, maybe I'll have to add a couple of yours to mine!
Post a Comment