Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Word to the Wise

First of all, I have to say how thankful I am for public libraries. Isn't it awesome that we can go check out just about any book we want for FREE? You can't beat free entertainment. I love the library and can't seem to keep up with all the many books I'd like to read. BUT...I'm not sure if I agree with how they determine a book is damaged. I received an email a couple days ago saying I owed $10 for a damaged book I returned, The Dark Mirror by Juliet Marillier. The first thing I thought was, WHAT? That book wasn't damaged when I returned it! So I went to the library yesterday to pick up my books on hold and to ask about the fine. The girl went and got the book and showed it to me. I couldn't believe that they were charging me for the small little spots they found. I have no idea how those spots even got there because the book never left my bedroom. I never ate or drank anything while reading it. They almost look like little ink smudge spots or something. There's only the two spots that you see in the picture below, and they're on the very edge of the pages. The rest of the book is in excellent condition. If I did make the spots, I have no idea how I did it.

Well, I didn't want to make a scene or be rude (think before I speak) and I figured that $10 was the least I could pay for all the wonderful books I've borrowed, so I paid it with a smile. But I still can't believe they deemed the book "unreadable" just from those little marks. They said I could have the book because they weren't going to put it back on the shelf. They would be ordering a new one. So I took the book home, a little bummed that it wasn't a book I had thoroughly enjoyed reading, but still a good book I guess. (Heather you may enjoy it, so have at it!)

So just a word to the wise: Be careful with your library books, handle them with care. Examine them for damage as you check them out or you may end up paying for it later like I did.

3 comments:

Afton said...

That seems pretty harsh for a few spots...really! The book is clearly still readable.

Ugh...well, I kind of feel your pain. I had 4 DVD's that were due yesterday that I didn't return. Charge for books is only 15 cents a day, but DVD's are $1 a day.

I was even laying in bed last night and realized i could get up and come down to the computer and at least renew 3 of them, but I was too lazy. Now I'm kicking myself.

Jen Howick said...

Sounds to me like they were a little desperate for some "donations!" Seriously, we get stuff from the library all the time and half the dvd's don't even work from all the scratches on them. Good to note though!

imswamped said...

We've had this same problem with Weber County Libraries. When we first moved here from Davis County I was really upset by a book they made us pay for, just like you. So I swore I'd only go to Davis County libraries. I've checked out hundreds of books, and NEVER had to pay for one from Davis. However, the few time I've been to Weber, I've had to pay for two! It's totally legal to get a library card in Davis if you live in Weber, and visa versa, but I don't know why anyone would want to! However, in Weber's defense, I will say that I LOVE their kids chess club on Wed. afternoon! Also, due to high gas prices I've relented and started going to the Main library in Ogden for the past year. Although they're not nearly as good as Clearfield, they are a LOT better than Roy.