Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Friday, February 13, 2009

Three Days of Darkness...or Was it Light?

Due to 4,000+ viruses, our computer was in the shop for 3 days (yes, so silly of us not to renew Norton Security). That was good and bad. Good, because I got a lot accomplished around the house, spent more time just hanging with the kids, and had spare time to play the piano lots--something I can never find enough time to do. It felt great! Also, the computer runs so FAST now! Wow! It's truly amazing. Bad, because I felt out of touch with the world and what's going on, missed my blog and all of you, and not having the computer here to set up all my new transcription work stuff was a little frustrating since I should have already had it done yesterday. It was also bad because I forgot to save all my pictures and now they're gone. I meant to go on walmart.com and get them all developed and put on a disc but I forgot all about that when I took the computer in to get fixed. SO, I'm a little bummed about that, but what do you do? I put in my camera card to see what pictures happened to be on that and it wasn't much! This is the extent of it below (you'll also see that Christian got ahold of the camera once again). So the last 3-4 months of pictures are wiped out.

Anyway, I learned a lot having the computer gone. First, I realized that I need to go to Bloggers Anonymous or something of the sort. Second, I realized that I use my computer too much as a crutch, too much as an escape when I should be doing other things. And it felt so good to get so much accomplished! I felt better personally as a mother to know that I was giving my kids my full attention with full eye contact, not just talking to them half listening while I stare at the computer screen. I also found all this awesome sheet music that I forgot I even had and want so badly to play it, right now! So that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to limit my computer time to when the kids are at school, unless it's transcription. I'm going to also not be on it when Ryan gets home, although he usually comes home so late that I'm in bed by that time, so that won't be too hard to do. Time is precious. It makes such a difference in relationships when you can give your full, undivided attention, when you can let others know that they are more important than the computer and what's in your emails. I've gotten a little carried away but am excited to turn over a new leaf. Oh, and Facebook, sorry but you've got to go! I almost have no desire to even go there now which is good. I just don't have room for you right now (but I'll still check my Facebook emails to see if anyone exciting found me Ü).





1 comments:

Afton said...

yes, bloggers anonymous. Sign me up too. :) Welcome back. So sorry about your pictures. Hopefully there weren't too many. We have 4 years of pics on our computer. I should back those up NOW! (And then put them in my nifty fireproof safe, thank you very much.