Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Green Day


I'm not Irish, but I love St. Patrick's Day. I try to make it fun for my kids though since they do have a little Irish in them. My 100% German mom used to make it fun for us growing up, green breakfast and all, and it's one of those things you just want to pass on. This morning it was green pancakes--quick and easy. I'm not a big fan of food coloring (tastes nasty) so I can't get myself to feed my family green milk. You can't really taste it in the pancakes, thank goodness.

Speaking of my 100% German mother, she makes the best Corned Beef and Cabbage that I always looked forward to each year growing up. I vowed I would make her recipe when I got married and had a family of my own, and that I have. It's not Ryan's favorite, but he'll eat it. He especially enjoys all the vegetables (figures). So I'll share my mom's semi-secret recipe with you for anyone wanting to try it if you've never made it before. It's wonderful slathered with a big hunk of butter, although I'll be skipping that part (yes, I know I didn't weigh-in, we'll talk later). I'll be serving this with some Irish Soda Bread tonight. No, I'm not making it from scratch. No time today with 6th grade maturation, transcription work, Pinewood Derby, and being a single-mom and all, but I found some on the "clearance" bakery rack at Walmart last week and bought it and just stuck it in the freezer to keep it fresh. I did forget though to buy some chocolate gold coins for the kids, but I have to run to the store later for something for Pierce's derby car, so I'll have to see if I can find some then. I'm such a rambler. Anyway, here's the recipe:

3-4 lbs. corned beef-I get closer to 4 lbs, least amount of fat, do NOT use seasonings that come with it
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
6 small red potatoes, cut in half (or quarter large)
6 small carrots, peeled, cut in thirds
1 med. green cabbage, cut in 6 wedges


-Put corned beef in big pot, barely covering with hot water. Add onion, garlic, cloves, and bay leaves. Cover and simmer-don't boil-for 1 hour per pound of meat.
-When done, take out the meat and add potatoes and carrots. Cover. Boil 20 minutes. Add cabbage. Boil 10 more minutes. You may need to add some salt, I can't remember. The meat is salty, so probably not too much if you do.
-Cut meat across the grain in slices. Serve meat with a scoop of veggies and juice over the top of it. I know this sounds so simple, and it is, but the flavors all work so well together and it's very hearty and satisfying.

2 comments:

Afton said...

This sounds great. I was going to have enchiladas tonight, but maybe I'll make corned beef and cabbage instead. My mom made this for us on St. Patrick's day and I loved it.

Emily said...

Ok...I will try it. I love veggies...