Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Random Stuff

It's time for the MCAT Countdown to go bye-bye. My poor hubby is under enough pressure as it is, we don't need that little colorful box there as a constant reminder of when the big day is. We both know when April 24th is. I don't think there's anyway humanly possible that we could forget. We've only been waiting for this day for over two years now. I initially thought that a little widget would be cute and be a welcome addition to our blog. Not the case. See, Ryan often checks out our blog during the day while he's studying and needs a little break (Hi Ryan). All that cute little widget created was anxiety, and we don't need anymore of that, believe me. I want to do everything I can to make this test "work" for Ry and not create added stress. So it's gone, and I don't know about you Ryan, but our blog feels lighter now to me--seriously!

Another Pinewood Derby down, who knows how many more to go. It was fun watching Pierce race last night. The scouts do other races besides the Pinewood Derby like the Raingutter Regata and that space ship one, but the Derby is my favorite. They didn't do a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place. All the boys got a ribbon. Pierce raced fairly well. In the one picture below it was kind of funny how his truck had somehow gotten off track and the other two cars ended up pushing him into 1st place. Pierce thought that was cool.

So what do you do when all four of your kids want to play baseball/softball this season? Say "No way Jose!" I thought about it just for a fraction of a second before my brain started going nuts with the thought. We would be literally living at the park for the months of May and June if we had 4 practices and 4 games to go to each week, and there's often more than one practice and one game a week so that would just be totally psycho to try and pull that one off. So how do you choose which child gets to play? Well Pierce is our little baseball star (I can brag since they were undefeated last year and Pierce won his first trophy ever-something extremely important to him)and he just loves to play so it's a must for him. Gwen played last year and had fun, but it's not really her cup of tea. I was surprised she wanted to play again this year. Plus she has enough other stuff going on--I'm not about to overschedule her. And the "little ones" as we're often calling Gretel and Christian, they can wait until they get a little older. I'm not ready to get them involved yet. So it looks like Pierce is the lucky winner. I haven't broken the news to the other kids yet but I think they'll get over it fairly quickly. It's hard to tell your kids no but I keep thinking of conference talks and other talks we've had in church where we are warned not to overschedule and to make sure we have enough family time. I see other moms going nuts driving all over the countryside to take their kids to their million activities and I don't want that for me.

I don't know about where all of you live, but the weather has been absolutely fabulous here in our little neck of the woods. I've actually been hot while driving in my car and have had to roll the window down. The warmth feels so good. Yesterday while at Home Depot I got the urge to buy some flowers to plant, just one pot for my front porch. So I bought a happy little primrose and some cheery pansies. It felt so good to get my hands dirty and to put that cute little pot on my porch. My stool has been bare for too long and it feels good to see the flowers sitting there. I also bought a little herb growing kit that came with a cute little tin tub to put them in. It came with with parsley, basil, and chives. So I think I'll have Christian help me plant the seeds today. He digs that kind of thing. There's something about planting things that does the soul good.


4 comments:

Anita said...

Hey. It sounds like you guys are keeping busy. Thanks for being a faithful blogger. It is nice to try to keep in touch. We don't see you guys often enough.
We are thinking about coming down for conference. Maybe we can have a little get together then or something.
Your wisdom in not having your kids involved in everything is inspiring. We only have 1 child in 1 lesson and I crave more family time as it is. I'm really starting to fear the day they all leave the house and I am sitting in my perfectly clean, quite home, wishing there were finger prints to clean and scraps to bandage. I want all the time I can get with the little ones while they still want to be with me.
I rambled a bit. Sorry. Have good day!!

Emily said...

I love the flowers...I envy that. Soon I hope. We used to be the ultra busy car family and that has changed this year. Mainly because we have no money and also because everything is far away. We are signing up my Christian for football this year. He has been begging for 2 years now. They are all in piano because I get a good deal...I love eating dinner together as a family everynight. I wouldn't change that for the world.

Nikki said...

I've never thought about how crazy FOUR would be! We had 2 soccer kids last year, and that was hectic enough! No one wants to do baseball this summer, and I didn't push it. Harrison is "heck-bent" on taking football in the fall, and refuses to do any other sport in between! Funny, but fine. Have you seen that boy's ankles??? They look like his feet could break off his legs at any moment, yet he wants to do contact sports! Chris tells me to cool it, but I am a mom. SOO, I guess we'll see what the fall brings. I agree with Emily above on the nightly dinners! Sometimes, I just want everyone to eat very quietly, but it is a good time.

PS--don't you love sending the kids outside in the evening now that it's light and warm!!??

Tanya said...

Ah, the Pinewood Derby used to be so much fun! My sons took first two years in a row. Awesome.

Your blog is great and your family is beautiful...happy spring!