Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Thursday, April 23, 2009

My Quest


I had the lovely opportunity to go see my OB/GYN for my yearly exam. I actually skipped last year's exam since I've never had any problems and my doc said it was okay to go every 2 years until I turn 40. However, I feel better getting things checked out every year. So I requested to have a blood test done, as I usually do, since I have had hypothyroidism for years and have had high cholesterol in the past. This is not something they just do, you have to ask. Well my doctor called me the next day telling me that my thyroid was fine, but my cholesterol was not. Once again, it has elevated. My LDL (bad) is at 160. Normal LDL is 130 mg/dl or below; 160-189 is high; and 190 or more is very high. The bummer is that I thought I was doing pretty well and for the most part making healthy choices. My mom has high cholesterol so it may be a genetic thing (a note to siblings to get yours checked!). But I think I can do better by eating a more well-balanced diet and by taking certain supplements/vitamins. My doctor recommended I go see an internist, but I really don't want to be put on any medication. I'm going to start by taking a natural approach to this and see if it helps.

Here is some great information for anyone who might need it. I think that even if you don't have high cholesterol, you can't go wrong by abiding by this and taking some of these supplements:

psyllium
omega-3
niacin
fish oil
sitostanol

To reduce your cholesterol you should be eating a diet low in saturated fats and high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. This means:

-low-fat or reduced-fat milk, yogurt and other dairy products.
-lean meat (meat trimmed of fat or labeled as 'heart smart').
-limited fatty meats, including sausages and salami, with leaner sandwich meats like turkey breast or cooked lean chicken instead.
-fish (fresh or canned) at least twice a week (salmon is great).
-butter and dairy blends replaced with polyunsaturated margarines.
-plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables and wholegrain foods, nuts, legumes and seeds.
-plant sterols are a type of alcohol structurally similar to cholesterol and found in some margarines and fortified foods, in corn, rice, vegetable oils and nuts. They can also lower cholesterol.
-Exercise!!!

So I am now on a quest to lower my cholesterol. It makes me sick thinking about my arteries and any build-up or junk that might be in them. YUCK! I'd recommend everyone get theirs checked if you haven't already.

2 comments:

Afton said...

What if you make guacamole and eat the whole bowl?

Erika said...

Oh I think it's a must to eat the whole bowl, otherwise it goes bad, and waste not want not, right?