Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I Shouldn't Have Spoken Too Fast...

Our bubble has been totally bursted by a certain gym (Gold's). I'm sure they are a wonderful gym with lots to offer, but here's the thing. Apparently their $20 per month fee has some strings attached (nah, really?). You only get that price if you sign a two-year contract. Well, we don't want a two year contract. Our plan was to only do this for four months until school starts again. Once school starts our lives are much too crazy to make any time for the gym, and we didn't want to feel obligated to go or feel guilty if we didn't go and end up wasting money. Well unfortunately Gold's doesn't have a month-to-month plan. They do, however, have a "summer deal" where you pay certain fees but then you have to sign a one-year contract. I don't mean to be rude, but we had a horrible sales-girl that really turned us off the whole place, and the fact that she wasn't willing to budge or accomodate us was a little disgruntling to say the least. Don't you think they'd be happy to have new customers? Especially with the economy the way it is, don't you think they should have been more welcoming and flexible? I do.

So now we're having second thoughts on the gym thing. We're also thinking that we don't want to put a lot of money into it when we can be doing things ourselves for free. We can now spend that money on other things that we need. So we've had a change of plans. For now we are getting up early and running together each morning. We did this last summer and enjoyed it a lot. That early morning fresh air and our quiet country roads are the perfect combination for a beautiful run. I love how running works my body. I love what it does to my whole lower half actually. It works wonders. We are also doing push-ups and crunches. It's much more convenient doing stuff here rather than having to drive somewhere to do it. Ryan is working at the farm this summer to earn a little extra money so he'll work his muscles a little there doing various things.

So as excited as I was to join the gym, I'm totally happy with "plan B" and the convenience of it all. This gives Ryan and I even more time to talk and be together. It's nice to have it done before the day really starts and gives us more time to do other things. It's our morning therapy and really gives us a boost each day.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Hey, thanks for the birthday note!

So sorry the gym didn't work out. I am surprised they didn't have something more convenient in this economy, too! I'm sure when times are tough, gym passes are one of the first things to go. So when someone wants to join, they should cater to you! Running in the country is way better anyway!

Afton said...

Well, that's Gold's loss and that sales girl will not get a very good commission this month, that's for sure!

I love free exercise. There are so many things you can do that don't cost money. And fresh air is wonderful!

Around here we have a great parks and rec system and you can sign to use the gym or indoor track or whatever. It's cheaper than a real gym and you can sign up for a month at a time, 3 months or 6 months.

Roger and Stephnie said...

That's too bad about the gym! Roger went to sign up and found out that the best deal he could get was to sign a 3 year contract (and pay for it all up front!) So, hopefully he keeps going to the gym for the next 3 years so we can get our moneys worth out of it.
You will have fun running together though, that is some great quality time. I wish we could both leave the house at the same time to do that. Maybe some day!