Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, July 20, 2009

Canning Season Has Officially Started

What I've been up to...




It has begun. My kitchen has been overtaken by all my canning paraphernalia. Cold pack canner, pots, pans, jars, lids, rings, produce...I no longer have any counter space (didn't have much to begin with!). This weekend I canned apricots from our tree but had lots more left so I canned some apricot nectar (recipes to come like apricot nectar cake, apricot nectar fruit salad) and made fruit leather (post to come on the leather). I think I've said this before, but I feel the need to can more than ever since this is our last summer in this house and next summer things are all so uncertain and we'll hopefully be busy moving somewhere. So who knows how much canning I'll be able to do next year.

Next up...pickled beets. Ryan's been craving them and our beets are ready. Anyone have oodles of zucchini that they don't know what to do with? How about zucchini relish? Our family loves it and it tastes way better than any relish you can buy. Nikki has requested my recipe, which is a recipe from Ry's Grandma that has been passed down from generation to generation, so I'll post in on my recipe blog Delicious Dales. We love it on tuna sandwiches, hot dogs, or even plain! Don't you just love the summertime?

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Oh, apricot nectar is truly nectar of the Gods!! Great job!! I had high hopes for canning this year, but baby is making me rethink it all!! I need to do beets, too. Mine are ready. That's a pretty easy one. It's so satisfying to see all those jars lined up and know exactly what's in them and how fresh everything is!! I love canning! Thanks for the relish recipe!

Heather said...

NOT FAIR! You are so domestic! Can I pay you for some?

Heather said...

One more thing, I LOVE beets now! I can't get enough! (in salad) Try arugula with beets, goat cheese, dry cherries, avocado, and chopped pecans!!!! You can use balsamic and olive oil for dressing or a citrus vinaigrette. My fav right now!

Afton said...

I would be interested to hear about your fruit leather. I tried strawberry fruit leather and it was a complete disaster. Also, I want an apricot tree.