Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Fruit Leather


Fruit leather is a food of my childhood. With 10 kids to provide for, my parents were very wise in living off the land and finding ways to be frugal yet healthy. When I was young, my dad built a large upright fruit dryer out of wood that we kept in our garage. It had lots of shelves that pulled out that were basically framed screens. We dried fruit leather of all sorts, apples, prunes, bananas, and I'm not sure what else. Anything we could get our hands on I'm sure. The fruit leather was my favorite. Prune or plum fruit leather is so good! I can't wait to make some since we have access to all the plums we want at Ry's grandma's house. Anyway, my kids were really excited for me to make more fruit leather. Apricot fruit leather rocks and it's so easy! The hardest part is waiting for it to be all dry. My dad gave me a really good tip on how to dry it without heating up my house by having the oven on for hours on end. JUST STICK THE STUFF IN YOUR HOT CAR! Brilliant! We don't have a garage to park our cars in anyway, so since they're already out in the hot sun I just cracked the windows a little, layed down the back seat, and put my pans right in. This hot weather we've been having was perfect for this. It did take a little longer than if I were to do it in the oven--two days versus 8-12 hours--but that's okay. So I'm going to post my easy-peasy recipe on Delicious Dales once again and hope you'll try it. Kids dig it and it would be a fun summertime activity for them to help you with.





5 comments:

Roger and Stephnie said...

I just picked a bunch of apricots off my brothers tree. I am going to make some freezer jam and I think I'm going to have to try your recipe for fruit leather. My mom used to make it when we were kids too! Good memories!

Heather said...

WOW! I love the picture of the rolls! THey look sooooo good! Apricot fruit leather is a favorite of mine! YUM!

Afton said...

How do you store the rolls? Do they even last long enough to need long term storage or are they all gone in a week or two?

Afton said...

Also, for apricot nectar, it looks like you used a Victorio strainer. What screen did you use? I only have an apple/tomato screen and maybe something for grapes. (I've just used it once.)

I'm sure I can look this up in my canning cookbook.

I just called about local apricots and they are just coming on. Wish I had a tree because the price is better, but will take what I can get. I love apricots.

Erika said...

You can store the rolls in the fridge or freezer, so they can last indefinitely! I just used the screen that came with it--the one I use for my applesauce and tomato sauce. The nectar is so yummy! We like it in fruit smoothies. Good luck with the apricots! ☻