Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Friday, September 18, 2009

It's Friday already?

I can't believe it's Friday once again. Where has the week gone? I must say that Friday is by far my most favorite day of the week. It used to be Sunday, before Ryan was put in the bishopric 4 1/2 years ago, but any wife who has had her husband in the bishopric knows how much his presence is missed on Sundays and how it can turn out to being a stressful day instead of a day of rest without them. Nonetheless, I still enjoy the renewing 3 hours of peace each Sunday as we attend church, and I wouldn't have things any other way than how they are right now.

So back to Friday, today. I just hugged and kissed the kids goodbye as they walked out to the bus stop. It hit me how thankful I am that they are all mine. I have four of my very own precious little people whom I love almost more than my heart can stand. Each morning I pray that they will be strong and make good choices. But then I think, do I give them enough choices in their lives to help practice this? Each morning they ask me what they should wear to school. I give suggestions, but ultimately I want them to decide that for themselves. I think they rely on me too much for certain things and I want them to be able to make their own decisions and be a little more independent, although I love the fact that they need me and value my opinion.

Several years back I took a Love and Logic class at the school back when I was having a hard time with Pierce, and they stressed the importance of encouraging your children to make their own choices. We as parents should give them two things to choose from--not too many things because they'll get overwhelmed--but things like: Do you want to drink orange juice or milk? Do you want to wear the red shirt or the orange shirt? Do you want PB&J or turkey? You catch my drift. And if they can't make a decision within several seconds then you make it for them. I use this a lot. We've gradually stepped it up a bit as they have gotten older and now let them make choices with their money and things involving their friends. Sometimes though I feel like I'm just ordering the kids around and not really giving them a choice. In the spur of the moment I forget Love and Logic. Although I guess sometimes kids need that firm nudging.

I want my kids to have commonsense, not just be book smart. I want them to know how to deal with temptations and real life challenges, not just know the principles and the "word" of the gospel. I keep thinking that my kids need more than what I needed when I was little. More information, more strength, more encouragement, more prayers, because the world has gotten a little tougher than when I was their age. The other day Gretel came home telling me that a FIRST GRADE boy came up to her on the playground and asked her if she wanted to have sex with him. WHAT? FIRST GRADE! I know the kids hear a lot of junk at school. There's no way to prevent that. We decided long ago that age 8 was a good time to start talking to our kids about sex. Maybe not the full-on details, but from a spiritual churchy-stand point. Everyone's child is different and you'll know when the time is right.

Gwen is doing great in junior high and loving life. But last night when I was tucking in the girls they each asked me to draw on their backs for a little while. So I did, and as I was drawing on Gwen's back she asked me, "Mom, do you think I'm pretty?" My instant answer was "Of course you are, you're beautiful!" It's starting. This brought back memories of when I was in 7th grade and the feelings I had of comparing myself to my friends. There always seems to be a girl who's prettier, skinnier, more popular, and one who all the boys go ga-ga over. That's just how life is. In anything. There's always someone better at something. Anyway, I had a nice little encouraging talk with Gwen and it's moments like those that make me feel so good as a mother. I love that she asked me and I loved the opportunity to shower her with my love and words of her self-worth. I'm so thankful for the relationships I have with my kids and always want them to be able to come to me with anything they have on their mind. I want to give them that comfort that I remember needing so much when I was younger.

On a lighter note, and to completely change the subject, I think the hummingbirds are gone. I think it's too cold for them or something and they've started migrating down to Mexico or wherever they go. The days are still in the 80s, but the mornings are pretty cool as we've had a light frost on our windshields. I miss those cute little things. It was always so nice to see them hanging around everytime I'd go out the back door and everytime I'd go hang clothes on the line. Summer is coming to a close. I'm not sad about that. I always welcome Fall with open arms. It's harvest time around here. The corn trucks and choppers have been driving up and down our lane constantly and there's hay being cut everywhere. The breeze that blows through our open windows smells of the onions laying out in the field across the street. The corn maze opens up next week and it's time to start thinking about making some apple cider. I've been canning up a storm and have gotten out the Fall decor. We've even got most of our Halloween costumes figured out and can't wait for that. The holidays will soon be upon us and to me the next few months are the best time of the year.

So tonight we're going to Antelope Island for the first time. I always look forward to when we can go do something all together as a family, and that's usually on Fridays so maybe that's why I love this day so much (here I go changing the subject again--I can't focus on anything for very long lately!). Should be an enjoyable time, especially since we're meeting up with Heather's fam for a little fun with our cameras. Can't wait. Happy Friday and Happy Fall.

5 comments:

Nikki said...

So, what do you do at Antelope Island?

Erika said...

I have no idea! We'll find out I guess. We're mainly just going for the scenery Ü.

Roger and Stephnie said...

It's so nice to have opportunities to really enjoy being a mom and connecting with your children so personally. I can't believe the story about Gretel! That is so scary! We decided that we would have "the talk" with our kids when they turn 8 as well. I'm glad we still have a few years to prepare what we are going to say! Hopefully no one does the job for us before the kids reach 8!

Heather said...

Erika, I LOVE your family picture!!!!!!! You made it look even better! It's a beautiful change to your blog! Thanks for being so patient with me. I'm glad we went on our little outing and the sleepovers were fun too! I love your family!!!!!!!

Christina said...

Well said Erika! I loved this post. What an inspiration you are to me and so many others. Thank You!