Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Medical School Update

So we have a lot of people always asking us how things are going and what point we are at with medical school applications, so here's the scoop. Ryan has sent in (via computer--so nice)15 of his 16 secondary applications (yes, he got rejected to 4 schools-bah humbug!). He's currently in the process of finishing his last one, to Duke. These secondaries are almost as involved as the initial applications he sent in. Ryan has had to write additional essays for all of them and they each ask for multiple essays on different questions about himself, such as how can he add to the diversity of that school, etc. They just want to get a better idea of who he is. A couple of them even asked him to send in a picture of himself. He's spent endless hours typing these essays and I have had the pleasure of being his proofreader. It's a lot of work and I think we're both glad he's about done with them. He does a fine job at portraying who he really is. I feel he's the perfect candidate for medical school and I'm not just saying that because he happens to be my main squeeze! He really does have so much to offer with all the life experience he's had. He's a lot older than your typical guy entering medical school (really?). He'll be 35 by the time he starts. He's been through a lot, giving him a great amount of compassion towards others and their various situations. He has a passion for getting in and helping people and I know that he is just so antsy to get going with all of this!

So once all the secondary applications are in, along with all the fees we get to pay again (yippee), we wait. We're getting really good at waiting. My whole life is about waiting, but that's another story. We are waiting to get those magical little emails that say "We want you to come in for an interview!" And we did actually get one of those emails yesterday! I was so thrilled. I had to hurry and text Ryan because I couldn't wait. The University of Utah asked Ryan to schedule for an interview the first part of November. Yay! His first interview! Little things like this might seem trivial to others but to us it's so wonderful because it means we're one more baby step closer to medical school. Interviewing can go all the way into the spring so we have a while to wait but time is passing quickly. I told Ryan that if he interviews at OHSU (Oregon) or UVA (Virginia) I'm going with him!

Thank you everyone for your support and constant encouragement. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd be doing something like this, but now that we are, it feels so right. This is where we need to be. We hardly even think twice about our old house or our "old" life. We now have a totally different perspective and our eyes have been opened. We're just thankful to have eachother and a warm house to live in (even if it only has one bathroom and no dishwasher!). It doesn't matter how big and beautiful your house is or how much money you make. It's about doing something worthwhile that makes you happy; about living life to its fullest; about helping others and contributing to society. People often think that being a doctor is all about the money. Honestly, to us, it's not at all. One of Ryan's goals in life is to actually participate in medical missions around the world, especially where he can use his Spanish. The thought of that makes both of us happy. Who knows what the future will bring. The path we've been led down has not, and will not be an easy one, but we know that with the Lord's help and the support we receive from you we can make it.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Oregon....that would be amazing! I here you about medical school. I totally get it. I never want to have that much "stuff" ever again. Learning to live on less has freed me in a way that I could never explain to anyone. It's something you have to learn for yourself to get. The whole...doing something important for the world...right down my alley. God gives us oppourtunities to improve lives with our respective gifts. That is why I am going back to college. I totally feel like I would be hiding my talent instead of using it and I can only imagine all the people that could be helped from me receiving my education. One bathrooms rock! You only have to clean one toilet. Right now, our 3rd bathroom is a waste of space. Our second bathroom could really be just a toilet and it would be fine. Everyone ends up in ours anyway. It seems to me that having more things and more space just makes for more stress and cleaning. I think I'll stick to around 2500 sq ft max and make the most of it. My father grew up in an 800 sq ft house with 4 kids. Sorry to rant. So happy for you both.

Page said...

Wake Forest is on your list, right? For them we have a piece of advice. Rick's secondary had been in for a bit and we hadn't heard anything, so he called them on the phone. They invited him to an interview on the spot! We have a friend who is applying now and just did the same, with the same result. Maybe they wait to see who is assertive enough to call? We don't know, but it works! For the record, Wake is also very, very family friendly... I think they would love Ryan!

Erika said...

Thanks Page for the comment! I wish I could say Wake Forest was still on the list but he got bloody rejected! Not sure why, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. North Carolina is still in the mix though with Duke. We'll see. Thanks for the tip though!

Afton said...

Yay OHSU! Actually, it sounds like you are going to end up with some hard decisions to make because he will probably have multiple places to choose once all is said and done. I'm sure these medical schools see the value in a student with a little more life experience under their belts than some twenty something who has only had student experience. He sounds like the perfect candidate to me!