Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, October 5, 2009

Mr. Mousey Took a Walk-About

We never caught Mr. Mouse on Saturday. He completely disappeared just when we thought we had him trapped in the office. I can't tell you how fast he was. He'd run by us so fast that if you blinked you missed him. I was really annoyed yesterday thinking, where in the heck could he be??? We had traps out everywhere and he wasn't even enticed by them. Well, that question was answered last night. Right around midnight. We all got to bed a little late after spending the evening at my parents house. We were all tired but it took a while to finally all be settled in our beds. Ryan was asleep and I was in that state of total bliss and relaxation right before you go to sleep when Pierce all of a sudden yelled from his bed, "The mouse is in my room!" Oh boy, here we go again I thought! Ryan went and investigated. Pierce had heard the mouse rummaging in some "junk" under the boys bunkbeds in the corner (their room is being completely cleaned-out today!!). Yes, it was the mouse. To make a long story short, me, Ryan, Pierce, and eventually Christian when he woke up from all the racket, all spent a good 30 minutes moving furniture, shifting "junk", trying to trap the mouse in the boys room. He was so fast! He'd run right by us and hop over things! He was so fast you couldn't even see him coming. One time he was hiding under Christian's dresser. Ryan moved the dresser but no mouse. So Ryan opened the drawers one by one. Sure enough, that little furball had jumped up into the bottom drawer and was sitting on Christian's clothes! Ryan tried very gently to get the drawer out and perhaps take it outside. Not. That thing hopped out and ran right through my legs, over the "barrier" in the doorway, and into the living room. So we spent more time in there moving the couch, piano, tv stand, and really getting fed up. We were tired and so sick of chasing the little rascal. We all wanted so much the satisfaction of just beating the tar out of it--sorry to sound so harsh. But it was getting old and really frustrating.

We tried to corner him, and finally did. Ryan had the brilliant idea of opening the front door. We had it wide open for quite a while, making us all shake because we were so cold. FINALLY, we had him cornered and he was hiding under the chest by the front door. Ryan started moving the chest when I saw the mouse simply run out the door and off the porch. I quickly closed the door and locked it. GOOD RIDDANCE!!! I guess it was nice we didn't have to kill it. The boys may have not wanted to sleep anymore after seeing a smashed mouse. So we left the house in upheaval and went to bed. But I didn't sleep very well. I kept hearing noises. Mouse noises. I don't know if I was delirious or if they were real. All I know is that if we get another mouse in the house I'm going to SCREAM!

2 comments:

Emily said...

I feel your pain...except mice don't bother me anymore. It's all about perspective. Evidently people in Holiday and Murray have to deal with RATS! Can you even imagine. It's really a big deal. So when we built our house in South Jordan right next to 2 open fields, I knew the little critters would come in. Little did I know they would make a home in our CAR! We'd catch at least 8 every fall and spring. Now we have cats....by the way, drowning is extremely humane if ever you do catch one. Just drop them in a ziploc with water and they don't feel too much pain that way and don't have to deal with the clean up...I know it's gross that I know this!

Erika said...

Nice tip, thanks. We thought our problems were over when little bugger walked out the door. Yesterday when we came home from violin I saw another mouse quickly run behind the stove.I was SOOOO MAD!! How could this be I thought? Ryan soon came home and we cornered the guy easier this time because he wasn't as fast. Ryan was able to swat and kill him with the broom. The kids all had to get a good look. Needless to say there were lots of screams coming from our house yesterday. Ryan can't figure out how the mice got in but we think that's all of them. We're all on the lookout though. Geesh!