The Christmas season has begun for me. I don't mean to jip Thanksgiving--to me, what I'm about to tell you just enhances my Thanksgiving. You know all those "grocery store" stories you hear around Christmas time about someone helping someone else in the store or paying for their groceries? Well, not to be boastful in any way, but we were blessed to just have one of those experiences and my heart is so happy and full of the Christmas spirit and the spirit of giving. I want to write it down so I never forget. Luckily my three younger kids were with me to experience it all. We were able to help a cute old little lady with an oxygen tank who had already put all her groceries on the cash register counter when she realized that she had forgotten her wallet. We had just checked out and I could have easily moved on and walked right out of the store without helping her, but really, how could I leave that poor little thing just standing there so distraught? Would Jesus have turned away? Never. I told the cashier I would pay for her groceries and to go ahead and scan them. The little old lady immediately said, "No, I can't have you do that", but I insisted. She immediately started crying...then the lady behind her in line started crying...and I was trying really hard to keep the tears back. The kids helped load up the bags in the lady's cart and we helped her take her cart out and load up her car. On the short walk to her car we had a nice little conversation. She had an accent and we found out she was from England. When all was said and done, she gave me a big hug, crying some more, and all I could say was "Merry Christmas", even though it's not Christmas, it felt so right to say it.
I am so thankful to have finally been able to have my very own "grocery store" experience. It was the best feeling ever and my heart is still full. This is exactly what I was hoping to share with my kids this holiday season--service. Sometimes we have to look for ways we can serve, other times they're thrown right in our laps (like today), but the important thing is that we do it. I will never forget that cute little lady, and I hope my kids never will either.
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









5 comments:
Erika, that is so neat! What a great memory for all of you! I love how you share such sweet experiences on your blog! Thanks for making my day better! Love ya!
I got a little teary reading this. Good job Erika. What a great experience for your kids.
I'm tearing up too! Good job for jumping at the opportunity to serve. Sometimes I'm so clueless I miss opportunities and end up kicking myself later.
That is incredible! I'm so glad that your kids were there to share it with you! That is something they will always remember!
wow! That's about as Christlike as I have ever heard... you won't forget it and neither will she, guaranteed.
Post a Comment