Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Bye-bye 2009

I think we had the best Christmas ever this year. I'm a little sad it's over. I can't believe 2009 is already coming to a close. Life continues to move at a steady pace around here. It seems like just yesterday I was typing my new year resolutions for this year. I've already done a little thinking on the new year and what I would like to accomplish. However, instead of typing my goals for the coming year (which are very similar to the ones I had this year), I want to reflect on 2009 and the things that transpired that I am very grateful for. It is a wonderful thing to be able to look back and see what the Lord has done and what He has helped me to accomplish. Do we always recognize His hand in all things? I think sometimes we get so busy and caught up in other things that we don't realize some of the little blessings, and they tend to go unnoticed. These are a few of the things I am thankful for in 2009:

1. We made it through the whole year without the flu or any major illnesses--all six of us! (First time in 12 years).
2. I was able to lose 16 pounds and get down to the 130s, something I have been striving to do for years. Lots of self-discipline, and I'm still going strong.
3. I got a job immediately after graduating from my Medical Transcription course. It has been, and continues to be a great learning experience. I'm going on 1 year this February.
4. We got over the MCAT hurdle and applied to medical school. A couple steps closer...
5. I'm thankful for the patience living in a small, one bathroom house has taught me this year. It's gotten a little tougher as time has gone by living here (I won't go into details, but when 5 of our 6 family members all have to use the toilet at once it can be a little challenging and frustrating to say the least). I really am just so glad to have a roof over our heads and warm beds to sleep in.
4. I'm thankful for my kids and that I was able to develop my relationship with them a little this year by doing things together, one-on-one, and by keeping my cool more.
5. I'm thankful for the realization I've had this year that you really can be spiritually fed while serving in primary. We have some amazing leaders that who through teaching simple gospel truths have spoken directly to my heart and have enlightened me and helped me in my personal life. Primary pianist is the best calling!
6. I'm so thankful for Ryan and all the hard work he put into his studies this year. Somehow we managed to hold everything together through it all and our marriage is stronger than ever. I'm thankful he was able to juggle the demands of me and the kids on top of church and school so well. He's my hero.
7. I'm thankful for what I learned about myself this year. Another year older and I like who I am becoming.
8. I'm thankful for what I learned from all my blogging friends across the U.S. this year. To gain strength and support from someone you don't even know is a pretty cool thing.
9. I'm thankful my hip stopped hurting. Once I stopped running the hurting stopped, so no more running, but I have enjoyed some long, brisk walks this year.
10. Looking back, the challenges, hurt, and disappointment felt this year are nothing now, but I'm thankful to have experienced them for they are molding me, shaping me, and teaching me how to be the person my Father in heaven wants me to be.

Here's to another year--it's going to be a doozy but I'm ready. Bring it on.

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Beautiful sentiments, as always. You are an inspiration to me. I'll be posting my own salute soon! Nikki

Dixon's said...

Erika, you are one of my all time favorite people and I don't even know you very well. You are such a great example to me and I love reading your blog.

Your new header brings back many memories for our family. I can't help but tear up when I look at it. We have been away from Utah now for almost 5 years. What a journey we have had. Life is wonderful and I am so excited to see where your next journey will begin. You have a wonderful family and will do well where ever you go. It is hard but worth every single minute. We have learned and grown so much in the gospel and as a family. I wouldn't trade these times for anything! Good Luck to all of you!!

Heather said...

I appreciate YOUR blog more than you know. Nice way to wrap up the year. I too can't believe we are moving into a new decade! You've had a good year!

Erika said...

Ahh, thanks for the love guys! You always make me feel so good about myself. Life is just great because I have friends and sisters like you!! I wish the very best for all of you this new year. ♥

Roger and Stephnie said...

You accomplished so much this year! Congratulations! Your family is such a great example in the ward. We really look up to you.