After a trip to Costco and Walmart this morning, the final preparations have been made for our Christmas. I am thoroughly enjoying these last days before Christmas. I have succeeded in not overscheduling or overcluttering our lives this holiday season. It's been wonderful. We're going to take it nice and slow this week and just bask in Christmas and all it brings. I'm looking forward to lazy days just hanging with the kidlins, baking gingerbread men, watching Christmas movies, and spending lots of time with just us, talking, playing games, doing jigsaw puzzles, and bonding. My favorite thing about Christmas, besides the obvious reason we celebrate it, is the MUSIC. What would we do without Christmas music? It instantly makes you feel good, and in a lot of cases, instantly brings tears to my eyes. We had our ward choir sacrament meeting yesterday, an event where the choir and others perform special musical numbers, and that's all we do--no talks. This is something I look forward to each year, and although I'm usually very relieved when it's over (since there's always a lot of music for me to learn and play), I feel sad when it's all over. I love all the feelings it brings and it truly feels like Christmas once the choir has done their thing. I got to play the piano for 9 of the 11 numbers, along with Diane (my mother-in-law) on the organ (she totally brings it with the bass!) and Gwen and Gretel on their violins. The girls played "What Child is This" and this was Gretel's sacrament meeting debut. She did wonderfully, and for only being 8 years old, I was very proud of the "grown-up" piece she played with Gwen. They will never know how much joy their music brings me and Ryan. We were all on a Christmas high yesterday after listening to their music and all the other beautiful songs. I didn't want it to end! I love that I can serve and worship through simply playing the piano, something that I love to do. I think I really will be sad when Christmas is over. I think our decorations and tree may be out a little longer this year. It's coming so fast and I'm not ready for it to end. Merry Christmas, with love.
The McFarland Christmas Party



Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









2 comments:
Erika,
You're such a sweetheart! What a treasure of a sister Erin has! (What a treasure of a sister you BOTH have!) Wishing you all a Merry Christmas as well and a wonderful new year! We can't wait to see what it brings for you ---- how exciting! And thanks for sharing your thoughts and your fabulous pictures. You inspire me!!!
I too was feeling all relaxed and ready to enjoy the final days and hours before Christmas day when I realized I had not finished the Christmas PJ's! Ahh! Better get to work.
Post a Comment