Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Classic

Photobucket
I'm a girl who likes classic things. Classics never go out of style, or if they do, it's only for a short time and then they're back "in" again. For instance, penny loafers. I had a pair of black penny loafers in high school that I absolutely loved. I now wish I had a pair of penny loafers once again. I love the classic cardigan sweater, or button-down shirt. How about a classic denim skirt (knee length) or some classic khaki chinos? And I absolutely love classic black leather high heels with a pointy toe. So stylish and so sexy (these can be borderline trampy if worn with the wrong thing, but with a black skirt suit--absolutely).

Another great shoe, that is often joked about in these parts, is the Sperry Top Sider (or boat shoe). I bought a pair of these last spring--classic brown--and love how they look. Classic. I wore them on a field trip last spring and had other moms making comments, and not neccessarily that they liked them. No bother to me. I thought they looked cute with what I was wearing. I like to be different, in all aspects of life, and not wear, have, and do all the same things as others. I haven't seen anyone wear Top Siders around here but I have a feeling that could change. J. Crew has some really cute ones for spring for women AND men. So don't be surprised if you see Ryan sporting something like this this summer:
Photobucket
J. Crew
Eddie Bauer also has some in their spring catalog for women and men, although the men's aren't Sperry, they're Børn, but they are so cute. So they're beginning to pop out everywhere in a range of shapes and colors. Take your pick. (P.S.-J. Crew is offering an additional 30% off sale items right now, but unfortunately these shoes aren't on sale.)
Photobucket
Eddie Bauer, mens (Børn)
Photobucket
Eddie Bauer, womens
Photobucket
J. Crew
Photobucket
J. Crew
Photobucket
J. Crew
Photobucket
J. Crew
Photobucket
J. Crew

3 comments:

Emily said...

My dad owns a sail boat. These truly are his shoe of choice and wears them everywhere. I think they are a real classic...like expecting you to walk out of a Ralph Lauren ad kind of classic. Mothers that make comments about peoples shoes need to go to help pick people out of the rubble in Haiti and learn to get a grip on reality and what is really important! Jeeesh! I have a pair of penny loafers and I love them. I keep my shoes until they fall apart or in the case of an ankle boot that I love, get them resoled. I have had these since my mission. Call me Laura Ingalls Wilder, I love them!

Heather said...

Oh I love these! And who are those UT mom's sticking their noses up at your good taste? Boat shoes are very COOL! And I can't wait to see Ryan in a nice bright orange!

Afton said...

I had a friend in HS (like 1984) who spent some time in Europe. Our freshman year she had these hair clips that she found when she was in France. Everyone made fun of her when she wore them. I thought they were awesome and told her not to listen to all the losers who didn't understand she was on the front end of a trend. A year later, even up to today, they are everywhere and no one would think to make fun of someone wearing them.

Visionaries are never truly appreciated. Good for you for doing what you like instead of joining the flock.