Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy Foods

PhotobucketCan food make people happy? Oh, food makes me very happy. But unfortunately a lot of that food has been junk food and that happiness is just for the moment while I'm eating and tasting it and then I feel lousy. But food experts say that certain foods can really make you happy, as I'm sure you've heard. From personal experience I believe this. They have done numerous studies on people with depression, chronic fatigue, or bipolar disorder and have found that certain foods have improved their symptoms or have helped them stay in remission longer. I'm not going to go into those foods, but you can read about them here. I thought I'd share my own happy foods as of late. These are all healthy foods, you know, since we're all trying to be healthy for the new year and all. They truly make me feel good--lots of good flavor, satisfying, and I don't feel lousy when I'm through eating them. I firmly believe that better eating habits make a better mind.

-walnuts (thank goodness for the bucket of them that we still have from our tree)
-celery (I love nice mild, crunchy celery. I also love it with a dab of peanut butter. I read once that celery is supposed to help with stress)
-hot lemon water (every morning! the juice has to be fresh though, no bottled stuff)
-salmon (oh ya! but why is it that the healthy food has to always cost so much more?)
-San Pellegrino (sparkling natural mineral water--thanks Emily and Afton for getting me hooked on this. It satisfies any craving for carbonation that I might have)
-turkey sausage (the precooked stuff from Jimmy Dean. Healthy protein and I love the flavor)
-shrimp salad (Costco's rocks, or you can go here for my own personal recipe--low carb and so amazingly good)
-blueberries (Costco's are the best-nice and firm. They have to be firm. I bought a container from Costco the other day when everyone was home and we devoured the whole thing in about 3 minutes flat.)
-fresh homemade salsa (I can eat this stuff by the gallon, with a spoon. No chips needed.)

So what are your happy foods? I'd love to know.

5 comments:

Afton said...

Cold water-I keep a reusable bottle in the fridge at all times and refill it often.
Big Salads-Trader Joe's has prepackaged salads that are about $4 a pop. Crazy that I would spend that much, but they are a guilty pleasure. So yummy.
Oranges-tart, sweet and super juicy
Hummus-I eat it with tortilla chips. Not super healthy. Maybe I should try eating it with celery.

Anita said...

I'm gonna second the hummus but I love it with fresh veggies especially red peppers and cucumbers. yum!!

Emily said...

Yummy! I love pecans, and blueberries. Right now I can't really find my kitchen, but when I do, I will have healthy food.
Salmon is my very favorite protein...I love peanut butter. I like it on crunchy whole wheat toast, a good yukon gold baked potato. My favorite fruit is a fresh pear that literally leaks down your face as you eat it...and a piece of extremely dark chocolate

Erika said...

Lately I've been addicted to peanut butter. So bad. Must be the monthly thing. I'm with you Emily on the peanut butter toast. I often make peanut butter and jelly toast for the kids for breakfast and wheat bread always rocks.

And hummus-I really enjoy hummus. Although I'm not really proper about it--I like to just dip my finger in it occasionally and eat it that way. No chips or veggies necessary for me.

Nikki said...

Any kind of nut! And cantalope. I couldn't get enough of it this summer. Avocados, too. I also love ants on a log (celery, PB, and raisins). Doesn't it feel good to eat healthy things?? I'm with Emily on the pear, but what about a peach??--same thing. And the dark chocolate. Homemade Peppermint Bark is healthy, right??!! Mom sent me some...to die for.