On cold winter mornings there's nothing like a "spot" of porridge to warm one up. Yes, I said porridge. It's fun to say porridge instead of oatmeal. Makes you feel British, don't you think? Or you could call it "parritch" as the Scottish do. Either way, you have to admit it's fun to say. I had my fair share of "porridge" growing up, although wheat mush was served more frequently. This is what we 10 kids attribute our good health and teeth to. Most of us have had only one or two cavities, and I even have 2 older sisters who have never even had one. We were all quite healthy too--very few trips to the doctor growing up. I think this is also due to the fact that we rarely ate processed food. My mom was, is, amazing that way; or it could just be our sturdy German stock, who knows.
For porridge I like steel cut oats the best. They have a hearty, nutty flavor and are very chewy, not mushy. And the great thing about them is they don't get lumpy. You'd be amazed at the difference in steel cut versus rolled oats. To me, they resemble cracked wheat or barley. Quaker brand's are smaller, more ground up looking, whereas some Scottish ones I bought were a nice big oat, like what we're normally used to. You can find Irish or Scottish oats around if you're lucky, but when it really comes down to it, any old oats will do. I know you all know how to make oatmeal, but this is my simple recipe for porridge for 4 servings:
4 c water
1 c steel cut oats
1/4 t salt
Bring water to a boil. Gradually sprinkle oats in with one hand while stirring with the other to prevent any lumps, although I never have this problem with steel cut. Add salt and reduce heat to low and allow porridge to simmer for about 20-25 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally until done and nice and creamy. The steel cut oats are more filling to me. A little of this goes a long way.
I like my porridge with some fabulous organic dark brown sugar and a little half and half or cream. I also like a contrast between my hot porridge and cold milk so I add a little milk as I go so as not to heat it up all at once and end up with warm milk. Some people like to have a separate bowl for their milk and dip their spoonfuls of porridge into it. What a perfect idea. When it comes to porridge anything goes--honey, butter, chopped dates, raw sugar, muscovado sugar, fresh peaches or berries, maple syrup, cream, creme fraiche, anything. My mom would use canned evaporated milk if we'd be out of milk and to this day I love that flavor.
You know, some moms say that their kids won't eat oatmeal, or porridge. I know some kids are finicking eaters, but I have found if you start your kids on it young, while they're still babies, they'll be tolerant of it as they grow older, and they must see you eating it too. If you make it super yummy with some of the above mentioned add-ins, it will make it much more desirable for them. Something so simple as porridge can be so wonderfully delicious and I feel much better sending my kids out the door with a belly full of wholesome, hot porridge rather than a belly full of cold cereal.


Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









4 comments:
That looks yummy! I have been making wheat mush about once a week for my family! Everyone does fine except Harrison. He is our gagger. Chris says he's just like Aunt Heather!!!!! What is not to like about brown sugar, butter and milk added?! I'll have to see if I can find these and have them try this, too. I am in love with the whole grain pancake mix I put on the blog. We ate it 4 times last week, not always breakfast, either! It feels so good to give your family fresh wholesome foods. I also made split pea soup a while back. That was a hit, too!
I still have visions in my head of Heather gagging on her mush!! Ha ha!! We love laughing at your expense Heather! I made split pea soup last week. I'm so sad it's all gone. It's my fav.
I love it! Yummy! I am going to try to find some steel cut oats here...I guess it's time to head to Whole foods because neither of the 3 grocery stores by me actually carry it.
Emily!!! How could you forget about Bob's Red Mill?? Come on! Their Steel Cut Oats won the world porridge championship in SCOTLAND! They won the golden spurtle. You can get Bob's at Fred Meyer and QFC and probably Safeway too. Personally, I am a fan of Bob's 10 grain hot ceral. I eat it with brown sugar and no milk, although that cream looks delish!
(Can you tell I've been on the Bob's Red Mill tour?)
Post a Comment