Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, February 22, 2010

Erika: Uncut

My name is Erika Marlene *****. I am a 35-year-old (just about) mother of four who continues to break out like a young pubescent teenager with raging hormones. Completely ridiculous. And painful. And embarrassing. Sure, make-up can work wonders, and it has for me, but I'm tired of having to plaster my face everytime I want to look decent. Soooooo, I am starting Accutane today. I know, I know, horrible side-effects, I'll be miserable for months, blah blah blah, I KNOW! BUT, I have been battling a serious war with acne since 6th grade and I am so ready to end this once and for all. I'm ready. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but BRING IT ON BABY! I have prepared myself for the worst. I have stocked up on gobs of creams, lotions, eye drops, and lip balm. I know it's going to get worse before it will get better, but I am still extremely excited to finally be doing this when I have wanted to do it since high school. I have tried just about everything in the book to try to tame my acne through the years. I'm tired of temporary fixes, if you can even call them that. So I'm taking the plunge. Here I go.

The "before" pictures. No make-up. No touch-ups. The real me. These pictures are fairly mild compared to some others I took. I couldn't bring myself to actually post those other ones. They're tucked neatly away in my secret files. I got some pretty narly close-ups. Anyway, I start Accutane today and the fun begins. So even if my skin flakes off, my nose bleeds profusely, my hair falls out, or my lips fall off, I know it will all be worth it in the end! (right?)
Photobucket

7 comments:

The Schofield Family said...

I think you're adorable!!! And, hey, we have the same middle name...not too common. Good luck! I hope you'll keep us posted. And no matter what anybody says chocolate is NOT an acne culprit (sp)...so if you happen to slide into a short spell of a slump through this just remember...chocolate is your friend! (Actually my best friend lately and one I lean on regularly!!!! ha ha)

Nikki said...

Good luck! Have you tried Cetaphil cream? You can buy it at Costco in large tubs--it's 'de baste' for dry skin. I'll be excited to see the results. Don't forget the sunscreen..

Jen Howick said...

one of my good friends did this in college and her skin is beautiful! i think we all have to do what makes us feel the most comfortable with ourselves, so hats off to you and good look in your endeavor! And I think you are darling without makeup! ;)

Emily said...

I had a space between my two front teeth for years. I didn't smile until I turned 28...literally. When I look back now, it wasn't that bad, but I was really paranoid about it. Let me just say that it was worth every penny of that 3200+ to get it fixed. Now, I love my smile. So do what you have to do...and hormones play a huge role. I have acne for the first time in my life and it flares up just before I get my period....I used to have skin so dry I could put vaseline on it...and cetaphil and nutraderm are the best moisturizers out there for your skin...good luck hun.

Afton said...

yay! how exciting to be making positive changes. I'm in the "before" period of a little experiment also but too shy to post pictures. (I bought something "as seen on TV") I hope it works. :)

Heather said...

You are gorgeous Erika! If I looked that good without makeup I'd be happy! I know this has been hard for you and so I support you 100%!!!! I can't wait to see you "after" because you are already so beautiful! Really.

Roger and Stephnie said...

I don't get it. I thought that once we were done with teenage-hood, we were free from acne. Unfortunately, not true! I have the same problem! I actually used Accutane when I was in college and it helped a ton. I seriously don't remember having any major problems with it, just drier hands. I just remember the Dr. making me go on birth control (even though I wasn't married or anything) because Accutane can cause serious birth defects. I'm excited to hear what you think about it. Good luck!