"I head toward home and the winding hills of Worcester, to our tiny house with a gravel driveway lined with maple, a barn tucked off to one side and miles of rolling hills we can call our very own. When I turn into the drive, the dogs race out to greet me, playing chicken with my mud-encrusted Subaru as I make my way into the barn. Ray's beaten me home and started the grill. We stand outside with our pups running circles around us, and we marvel at our luck. Dumpling Hill to our back, Worcester Range to our front, and pines all around. And in the background, a distant owl calls to us and welcomes us home."
~Confections of a Closet Master Baker
The older I get, the more I realize that I really am a "prairie girl" at heart. I think this is most contributed to my upbringing in the country, and I think it's only natural that as we grow older we yearn for something of yesteryear. And maybe because things were so simple and carefree back then. Who doesn't want to feel that way again? I am craving the simplicity of my life as a child. I have such a yearning desire to make things with my hands. I often think of my ancestors and gain strength from thinking of all that they had to do...with their own two hands. Perhaps this is why I am drawn to the following two books:


Both of these books are perfect for a day like today--snowy, dim and cold, or perfect for a sick day. Yesterday was just one of those days, so I huddled on the couch with a hot cup of lemon tea, next to the window so I could occasionally look out and see the beautiful rain falling, and read these two books. Relaxation at its best. I was totally enthralled in these books, the first being all about the simple life as a pioneer and how to incorporate that simple life into a modern day life. She tells how to do numerous daily tasks as the pioneers did, such as laying a fire, braiding a rug, or making soap. She also includes numerous recipes and techniques such as the proper way to make tea, baking a rhubarb pie, and canning bread & butter pickles. This book totally calms the nerves and makes you want to make something with your hands.
The second book is actually written by Sandra Bullock's sister, Gesine Bullock-Prado. I could read more and more from her, she is so good. I love her sense of humor, and I loved reading stories from her life growing up, about how she was deprived of sugar as a child, and her escapades of stealing candy and sweets from her friends houses in Virginia. I have to say that I can relate to her in so many ways, as I'm sure all my sisters can as well. And my mom sounds extremely similar to Gesine and Sandra's mom--a full-bred German woman who loves to cook/bake and knows how to do it right! This book is a memoir, not just a cookbook. Gesine talks frankly about her life, how she gave up a Hollywood career to move to Vermont and open a bakery, and simple life lessons learned since doing so. Gesine shares some personal thoughts about her mother, who passed away from cancer years ago and she vividly paints pictures of her mom that make me think, "that's exactly how my mom is!". I loved hearing about her numerous trips to Germany and the way of life there. I loved reading the stories behind her family recipes. I can relate to the apfelkuchen and the lebkuchen, as these are cakes that I grew up with as well. This book appeals to me not only for these reasons, but because I loved how Gesine realized what it was that made her happy-who she wanted to be (a baker)-and gave up a good career to do that. I love how she gave up her old life for a new, unknown one (a little reminiscent of the movie Baby Boom, one of my favorites). This was such an appealing book to me, as I'm sure it will be for any woman who loves to bake. The recipes sound so scrumptious--I can hardly wait to try them. And if I'm ever in Montpelier, Vermont, I promise I will stop at Gesine's.
(Check out Gesine's blog here--your mouth will water!)
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









1 comments:
I'm all over that 2nd book! Can't wait to pick it up!
Post a Comment