
Knowing that we'll be "away" for a minimum of four years has made me constantly think about all our "lasts". Since we only have 12 days left until our big move, we've all been in the midst of some lasts--last sleepovers with cousins; last music lessons; last performances; last time speaking in a ward we've been in for 12 years; last family parties; last time to pay rent and other bills here; last visit to my hair lady for a haircut; etc. And then I'm always having to ask myself things like--will this box of laundry detergent get us through until we move? What am I going to do with this 20+ pound frozen turkey? (because I really don't feel up to cooking it), and how in the world are we going to transport our beloved goldfish without killing the poor thing? My head is spinning and I don't see it stopping for quite a long time. So much on my mind. So much to deal with. So much paperwork. So much to still pack. Ryan's been up till the wee hours of the morning for the past couple weeks getting our cabinets done, painting baseboard/crown molding, painting beadboard, painting and repainting a new front door (had to get the shade just right, what color you ask? Just wait and see...), painting our dining table and chairs (I have now fallen in love with my dining table all over again after seeing its new make-over last night), all for the new house. One night he didn't even come home, just worked through the night. He's an animal that way. But he's the man. Without him I'd fall apart I think. His support means everything, especially in this stage of the game. Tonight we have a hot date at IKEA to search for some butcher block countertops and my "last" time eating Cafe Rio (so sad), but I think things are finally winding down in the home improvement department.
Even though we are experiencing so many "lasts", we can't wait to soon be experiencing some "firsts". We have no clue as to what awaits us--I think about it every single day--but whatever and whoever it is, it will be fun experiencing it together. Onwards and forwards!!
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









3 comments:
Is he in Virginia already? So your not doing all that home improvement to the rental right? I am excited for your totally new adventure. Have fun at IKEA. I always love to go there and just browse for hours. The salmon is great too!
Mmmm, salmon! No, he's not in VA. We're doing all the stuff here and just taking it with us in the moving truck. We took measurements while we were last there, so hopefully everything will fit!!! I've been thinking of you as I pack boxes, by the way! Such a joy, isn't it?
Be glad you are doing it here and taking it. I wish I'd stayed in teton valley for another month and let chris get the house done. It's a mess. Worse than we thought. Thank heavens for family to stay with. We have cabinets outside. And toilets and water heaters on the grass. Total rednecks! Hope your last few days are great. We'll miss you. I am in a mess, but I'm not in termoil. I'm at peace. I like it here. My house will be so cute when it's done. Can't wait to paint my cabinets, and pick out wall colors and flooring. I bought some cool plates to put up in the dining room. They were a steal and vintage. I'll show you a pic soon.
Post a Comment