Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, July 19, 2010

So long, farewell, auf weidersehen, adieu!

Well, the time has come my friends. Everything is just about packed up except for a few of the typical last minute items, including this lovely computer, so I thought I'd squeeze in one last post. How can I describe how I am feeling? I can't. I have been on a roller coaster of emotion the past few weeks, and once again, this all seems so surreal. We are really going to do this. I've been trying really hard to not be a big cry baby, but I can't say that I've succeeded. Our friends, family, and neighbors have been so good to us these fast few weeks and being on the receiving end of so much love makes it even harder to leave y'all. We've had some tender moments that I will cherish always. Our roots have been planted here for so long, that it makes it extremely hard to pull them out and move on to the unknown. We are leaving the safe harbor. Sure we'll be back to visit, and maybe someday for good, but it will never be the same as it is now. I'm so excited yet hate the sad feeling I have inside at the thought of leaving my family. I've done it before...twice actually...so why is it so much harder this time? It helps a lot to  know that Virginia is the place for us for some reason or another. We don't have to question why, we just know because it has been made clear to us, and I love having that certainty. So I love you all, and we're not disappearing forever. We'll be back soon. Thank you everybody for the innumerable well-wishes and all the support, because frankly I've really needed it. Wish us luck and safety on our long journey ahead, and we'll see you on the other side of this beautiful country of ours. Hugs and kisses.
~Erika

2 comments:

Sarah Hastings said...

Hi Erika, so I hope you don't think I am incredibly creepy, I was looking for a frinds blog and apparently typed the wrong address in and your blog popped up! I think this is interesting only because my family just moved to Portsmouth, VA from Wyoming last month, we are LDS, and my husband just started a Pediatrics residency at the Naval hospital. So, if you think I am creepy I totally understand but if you need help getting to know the area or just need a friend we are right around the corner. Have a safe drive! oh, you can find me on facebook, Sarah Scott Hastings

Nikki said...

That's a cute post above. Maybe it's destiny. Erika! I know I'm far away, but you feel further away now. Isn't it amazing to move? It is always surreal to me too. No matter how many times I do it. There are so many good byes. I cry hard everytime I move. I always so good bye to the house and thank you for taking good care of us! (silly) My kids are getting older now and I'm sure they think I'm psycho as I cry most of the way to our new place. It is actually really healing. Some are tears of grief, some fear, some of relief and some for the new adventure. I know you'll do great. I know it's meant to be. I know you will be watched over and that you'll all learn so much! Take care. Talk to you soon. I love you. Nik