Has anyone else out there had a hard time choosing a shade of gray paint that doesn't look blue when you actually paint it? Man, I have. We managed to finally get some painting done yesterday--the kitchen, family room, and entry way. The kitchen is the gray room, or what looked like a nice light gray on the paint sample. In some lighting the walls look gray, and in some lighting the walls seem a skosh blue. Nonetheless, I think we'll leave it. No pictures of kitchen yet until it's all done. We color matched the family room since I like the color already. The rest of the house is the same color.
We have major termites here in VA. I set my eye on some yesterday for the first time. It's amazing what damage those little critters do. We had to invest in some pretty expensive spray to help keep them from destroying our home. Fun fun. There are also lots of mosquitos, flies, and anything else you can think of. Gretel got 3 swallowtail catapillars from a class the kids went to this week and one is already starting to make a cocoon. It is so cool. I love staring at the juicy little things as they nibble continuously on the parsley in their little 2-liter home. Their names are Pierre, Plum, and Mimi. I am sorry to announce that Belle the Goldfish has passed on. We thought she was fine after the trip here, but was looking a little pale and then all of a sudden died. The kids were sad.
I took a gander in the backyard this morning only to find a little squirrel trap that Christian made. He said he put some of Gretel's "rotten" cereal (cinnamon Life) out there to catch a squirrel. Well the cereal is gone, but no squirrel. I also saw how big our junk pile is getting. My goodness! It's time to take a load to the dump! All of this home remodeling is great and exciting, but I'll tell you, I'll be so happy to have an orderly house and yard one of these days.

Holly's winning color combination--navy blue front door with door knocker and white garage door. We love it Holly!! The A/C guy even complimented it. Will you be my personal home designer?


Have you ever seen gardenia bushes so tall?

I know you're just dying to see our garbage pile!

Christian made his squirrel trap out of an old cupboard from the junk pile

Isn't it cool how you can see the yellow and black stripes on the catapillar telling you it is going to be a swallowtail?

Christian was the first to mow our lawn

Can you see the rain pouring off our roof? No rain gutters here. Go figure.
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









3 comments:
I was thinking of you today when I canned apricots. I also made jam and apricot butter. The canned apricots look like completely mush! I followed the directions and processed for 30 minutes but I think it just did them in. I don't know that I'll be able to do anything with them except make very sweet baby food. Which I don't need! Have you canned plain apricots in syrup? Maybe I need a pressure canner for faster processing time. I still have about 2 pounds of apricots left that weren't quite ripe that I was thinking about drying.
I'm guessing you missed out on your apricot bounty this year because of your move. Looks like things are going well. I can't believe you are putting new cabinets in as your are moving in, although really, what better time to do it than before all the dishes and stuff get in there. Still...that's a lot of work. Love the new cabinets. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Still wish you were at OHSU. We don't have any bugs and it's not humid here. ;)
Yes, we missed the apricots this year. I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to do any canning at all this year. Not sure yet where to find fruit, veggies, etc. and no garden yet. I only boil my jars of apricots for 10 minutes. I know they all tell you to do it much longer, but mine have always been just fine. I can them when they're firm so that they hold up. How's the apricot butter? Sounds yummy. I'll have to do my canning through you this summer!
Your house looks so darling...I am sure you will turn it into a lovely "Home" will all of your improvements....Love the squirrel catcher...very creative! I spied some cupboard doors in the trash heap...You may want to save those and shabby chic them or turn them into frames for the kids or family pictures....I have seen some fun projects done with old cupboard doors...just an idea!Glad you guys are doing so well!!
Post a Comment