Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, August 9, 2010

Our Ward

Our ward reminds me of the 2 wards I lived in growing up in California. We meet in the stake center (just like the one in Cali AND the one we just came from in Utah) each Sunday at 3:00, yes, 3:00. So I like the familiarity of it all and it's kind of a deja vu type of feeling. So when we get home from church after 6:00 pm, we don't really have a big dinner. By that time, we are so plumb tuckered that it's pajama time, and lounge around family time. I love it. Although the bishop told us they are building another building somewhere so we might not ever have this meeting time again after this year. Our ward has several people who have lived there forever, but most seem to be implants from all over the place. We have a bunch of law students since Regent University is nearby. We have some military families. And Ryan is the only medical student! Our bishop is 35 like us and he's great. Our whole bishopric is great. People are so friendly (and not just church members here). We have been invited to so many things since we've moved in. The big thing is FHE here. It's a good way for families to get to know eachother so it's kind of the thing you do to get together on Monday night. The last 2 Monday's we've been invited somewhere. And we almost got invited tonight somewhere but Ryan couldn't make it (he's with the young men on high adventure) so we're going to their house next Sunday for dinner. This is a girl who was at Ricks the same time I was! She said I looked so familiar. Maybe we had a class together or something. Crazy.

Anyway, the ward is in desperate need of pianists! Both the primary and relief society do not have one. Both organizations have told me they want me. Gee, it sure feels great to be needed! The bishop asked me to play in primary for a while until he figures out what he wants to do with me. So Sunday I played there and it was great. I already got asked to accompany a woman who will be singing in sacrament in a couple weeks. So things are looking about the same as they did in our old ward for me! I don't mind at all. I love sharing my talent.

So I mentioned Ry is on high adventure with some of the YM. That is because he got called as Pres. yesterday. Here we go again! I'm totally happy and fine with this. He relates so well with the young men, and from the time he was pres in our old ward, he still has lasting friendships with those boys. So I know he'll do just great. We just don't know what to expect once school starts and hope he can juggle it all okay. It can't be much worse than it was previously.

So we are beginning to "bloom where we are planted" as I mentioned before. It feels great to serve, no matter where it is. It feels great to make new friends and feel that instant connection that only the gospel brings.

This is totally off the subject, but I have a really yummy treat that my friend Jill introduced us to, that I'm sure you already know about but I'll tell you anyway. This is perfect for a hot summer night, watching a movie together, or visiting with the missionaries in our case Ü :

1 carton pineapple sherbet
1 carton fresh strawberries, chopped small
2-3 ripe bananas, chopped small

~Just let the sherbet soften a little. Dump in bowl with berries and bananas. Mix up. Cover and put back in freezer. Serve all by itself, or this would be yummy with some Sprite added in a cup.

1 comments:

Christina said...

It sounds like everything is going great. I am so glad you are enjoying your ward. Congrats to the new callings. You both will do great.

The recipe you posted is what we served at our wedding. It was fun seeing it again. :) It is so yummy and refreshing.