
So apparently we do live in the south, as I have often heard people referring us to just that. We are the northern tip of it though. There are lots of things I love about the south--the humidity (call me crazy), that sweet southern drawl, the interesting variety of foods and vegetables the stores carry (lots of green veggies like ocra, lima beans and collard greens, quite the variety of cornmeal for making "hush puppies", biscuit mixes, marshmallow fluff, BBQ sauces, a huge array of fish sticks, and lots of dumplings, aka egg noodles). Love it! Variety is the spice of life and we have enjoyed trying some new things. But one thing that I am really loving about the south is the southern hospitality that you always hear about! Yes, it really does exist. I have come across some really nice people here, strangers, that have been super friendly and act like we've been friends for years. Just at Walmart the other day, I had checked out and was walking out to my car with a loaded up shopping cart with things flying out of my bags everywhere and I had 3, yes 3, different gentleman offer to help me! One didn't even ask, he just saw that something had fallen off the bottom of my cart and turned around and put it back on for me. Can you say gentleman? Not to diss on Utah or anything, but that never happened to me in Utah and there were plenty of times I could have used some assistance. So I am loving all that the south has to offer and I am learning how I can reciprocate some of that southern hospitality to others!
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









1 comments:
I totally agree! Running errands with my kids often turns into an adventure where we meet super nice people who talk to my kids or help me in a store, etc. We are going to miss the south!!
Post a Comment