Fall is quickly approaching and my natural instinct to bake and eat is also quickly rising. But after getting on the scale this morning, after about a 9 month hiatus, it has put a major damper on those desires. Can I really have gained 15 pounds? I know I said I wasn't going to let that happen this summer. But life happened. Moving happened. Lots of stress happened. And I ate. And didn't exercise up until we moved here. And even with my walking I have still been eating garbage in an effort to sooth my soul of all the stress. So here I go again, rambling on about how I'm going to lose weight. It's always about this time of year when I do this...I think because I get scared that I'm going to look hideous in my pants for wintertime. I do best with a meal plan set out for me, strict guidelines to follow. So I have decided to try the Special K Challenge. Anyone ever tried this? It's pretty cool actually. Lots of variety and different meal plans to choose from, even a chocoholic one! They claim you can go down 1 size in 2 weeks. I'm going to see if that is really possible. They have lots of recipes for the meals you choose and send you an email every day with helpful tips. I've started today and am eating my Special K granola with 2/3 cups of skim milk and half a banana. YUM! I'm liking it already. I love to eat, but I like to fit in my clothes even more (at least I'm trying to tell myself this), so I'm going for the gusto. I took 2 weeks off of walking with Caroline since school, kids, and work have been ridiculously crazy, but now that I'm starting to get a grip on things Caroline and I are back at it and it felt great to get out this morning! We're even doing a hot zen yoga class this Saturday--should be interesting. Anyone else wanna give the challenge a try with me? It's free!Something totally off the subject but totally cute is I just looked up at the toolbar and saw that the last google search was for "uckulyly". Christian used the computer last night. Do you know what he was trying to search for (which he shouldn't have been without adult supervision, that little stinker, I was busy making dinner for the missionaries) ? Anyway, he is obsessed with learning how to play the ukulele so he's been watching youtube videos that show you how to play. He wants one really bad. Funny how he phonetically tried spelling ukulele--so cute.
One last thing--don't you love this song by Mindy Gledhill? She's my favorite LDS singer these days. I am wanting her new CD "Anchor" bad. It has a variety of songs on it that aren't church related but oh so cool and relaxing! Love her style.
OK. Enough rambling. Happy day to you! Peace.









8 comments:
Way to go on the Special K diet. I can't wait to hear how it works. I might join you if I wasn't already doing the Game On Diet which is working well for me and I'm having fun too! (Just in case you ever read the book, the ideas are not extreme and all make sense and are about having overall health, which is why I like it. However, the language is awful. Lots of swearing. I skimmed most of the book to get the idea of how it works and missed most of it, but just a warning...)
As for the school bus, I think this is a great opportunity for them to learn how to distance themselves from this kind of thing, which will continue to come at them from all directions for their whole lives. The fiery darts of Satan! The fact that she wants to get a ride to avoid the influence is GREAT. Getting away from a bad situation is never a bad idea. Of course it's not always possible to do so. She tried to talk to the person nicely and that didn't work. Maybe help them come up with a list of strategies they can try when they are faced with bad language they can't just walk away from. Can they move seats? Can they focus their attention on another, better discussion with other kids? Can they plug in earbuds?
Your kids could turn out to be examples for many others on the bus who may be also silently putting up with the trash talk. Taking them off the bus may be a missed opportunity to be that example that helps someone else.
Of course you need to use the spirit to decide when it's possible to be a good influence and when you just need to get out. As my seminary teacher used to say, you don't throw a white glove into a muddy puddle hoping the puddle will get glovey.
Good luck!
Thank you so much for that Afton. Just the answer I was needing to hear. You know, I grew up riding the bus and was exposed to "trash" and I turned out okay. I've recommended the ipod idea and sitting up at the front of the bus and I think my kids are just going to have to try to do those things and try to bear it. I love how situations like these turn us to the gospel--a couple days ago Pierce was amongst some trash talk and so he said he sang one of the articles of faith songs in his head and it helped. Gotta love it! Thanks again. Ü
I agree. My kids had the same problem last year...only it was about sex and swearing. It gave us an opportunity to talk about how unintelligent it sounds when you swear and how sex is sacred. We had really good discussions. They found different people to sit next to and eventually, they learned how to not pay attention to it. Wouldn't it be great if we could just avoid all sin? Unfortunately, we all have to learn how to overcome the world and this is just one of many things your kids will learn. It will solidify their testimony of not swearing....and your diet, well, I can't have special K or milk, but am doing the game on diet as well (not with Afton though) and I can't wait to begin the winter without feeling bloated and plumped up just like the turkey at thanksgiving! We are all in it together right!
My first thought was to say pull them off and take them. But I agree with Afton & Emily, it's a great learning experience for them. PJ had some trouble on the bus, and after talking with his teacher and the bus driver we were able to get things taken care of. And while that may not be possible it wouldn't hurt to try talking to the bus company about it. I know here there are rules about what kind of language is appropriate for the bus, but then my kids are still in elmentary school.
As for the special K, I tried a long time ago and couldn't get past the taste, but then I'm not a corn flakes person. I each cheerios, and have an activa yogurt for breakfast. Though the is a corn squares cereal that's pretty good and high in fiber.
I've been doing the treadmill 3 mornings aweek before school. And then 2 nights a week while the kids do their swim lessons I've been doing a water areobics class at the Y. I love it, I'm like the youngest person by maybe 20 to 30 yrs, but who cares. It's a lot easier on my joints and I can totally feel a difference. I'm going to measure my arms and legs once a month to use that as a judge instead of the scale. I took a weight lifting class in school last semester and that totally kick started me getting going. This past summer was pretty hit or miss, but I'm back on the wagon. During my class last semester I lost 3% on my bmi, and that was such a great feeling.
Anyway, sorry for my ramblings, but I can't wait to hear how your "challenge" goes.
Sounds wonderful Dorri! You go girl! Keep it up, I'm envious of your motivation! Still trying to get me some of that, but I think I'm headed in the right direction. Luckily I love Special K and cold cereal in general so my new regimen has been great for me! And the menu has you eating all sorts of special K stuff-protein bars, shakes, special K crackers, granola bars, fruit, veggies, and the yummy recipes they give for your "normal" meal. Oh, and K2O is a yummy drink mix you mix with water and it has protein and fiber in it so help sustain you in between meals. It's great!
Thanks Emily--good comments, as always! Good luck in your ventures, and yes, we are all in this together! It's great to have the support of all of you!
Hi Erika-
I was not going to comment but I decided to. I think you should pull them off the bus. It's a hassle to drive them but they are exposed to "trash" all day long. Why begin and end your day that way when you could have some special time with your mom or dad instead. It's the perfect time to "tune" back into your kids. Also they live in a different world then we did. There are probably things going on that they are not telling you because they are embarrassed. It's sad that a bus ride has to be a stress. Also I believe they will have many chances through the day to be a good example. On the bus they can't just walk away or tune it out. Just my thoughts. We live in a great area but it almost seems like the kids are even worse because they come from wealth. Good luck with both the diet and the bus situation.
Thanks Katy! Good to hear from you. You made a good point. I think we'll tough it out a little longer and see how things go. Gwen and Pierce brought their ipods with them this morning to listen too. Luckily it is a short ride to school as they are one of the last stops. With my work it's not the most feasible thing to drive them but if it came down to that I would have to. What is this world coming to?
Love all the comments. My thought was maybe if Gwen and Pierce stand up some other kids will come to their rescue and stand up too. It only takes a couple brave ones to make others realize it's not right, too. Then the lame-o is outnumbered and will be silenced. I love the ipod solution. I told Chris about it, and he said we had to deal with it, too. And I did too. My kids have had a little of it. Harrison says he didn't look at an inappropriate music video someone was watching. They are good kids. I also loved Afton's comment about listening to the spirit. Only you and Heavenly Father know what's best for your family. Hope all is well. Love the sweat post!! And I'm glad people are friendly. I was shocked at how many people go out of their way to hold doors open for a girl with 2 kids and a shopping cart. (teenage boys even!!) Hope you are well. We are great. Email me your address!
Post a Comment