
Growing up, my parents set the perfect example of attending the temple each month. When we kids would come home from school on a Friday afternoon and see those famous light blue suitcases out we knew it meant mom and dad would be gone all night with some of the ward members for temple night. The Oakland temple was about an hour and a half away so it was an all night affair and by the time they got home we'd all be long fast asleep. Then when I got married and moved to Utah the temple was so close I couldn't believe it! 10 minutes away or less. It was ideal. Piece of cake to go each month because it was right in front of you. Well we're not in Utah anymore. We are now in the DC temple district which is a 3 hours drive, but there is also the Raleigh, NC temple that is the same 3 hours away. We made the trek to DC Saturday with 3 other couples for our annual Stake Temple Day. We had the best time. Our good friends and neighbors just down the road, the Burton's, drove us all in their "bus" and the drive quickly went by as we all chatted the time away. The temple is located in the trees in such a beautiful area. It is actually in Maryland. It is simply beautiful, just as beautiful if not more than all the pictures I've ever seen of it. It is the largest of all the temples in the world. After our session we had a special meeting in the "upper chapel" with our stake. It was special. I quickly realized that I took the temple for granted in Utah.
We were so blessed to be able to take the whole day and spend it doing something so worthwhile. It was a very long day (we left at 6:30 a.m. and got home at 8:30 p.m.) but so worth it. The kids were still alive when we got home. Gwen had made cookies and Pierce had cleaned most of the house so it could be nice and spic and span for us when we got home. How wonderful it was to come home to that.
One last note--thank you all for your encouragement and well-wishes on my new calling. It has meant so much! You know, I was quite worried at first, especially after one brother told me that he would "rather slit his wrists than be gospel doctrine teacher" but now that my first lesson is all said and done, I am so thankful for my calling. My lesson on Jonah went smoothly, just as I had prayed it would. So thank you for your kindness and prayers. I think I'm going to make it! Ü



Left to right: Us, the Burtons (Caroline is my walking partner and such a good friend!, Greg is our first counselor in the bishopric), the Tylers (Jill is the primary pres. and Noah is 2nd counselor in bishopric), the Rothmans (Ryan is in young mens with my Ryan and April is counselor in R.S.), the Buttars (from Ogden Valley! Will be moving back home in December, boo hoo)

I love the angle of this picture, if only my mouth wasn't cronky!
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









1 comments:
Nice pictures! What a glorious day! I love the Washington D.C. temple! It is so tall and grand! I am so glad you have wonderful friends already! About the bus "situation", I'd see how it goes for a little while longer and if Gwen feels like she has had enough, just drive them! It's a good time to have good discussion and prayers before school. I do it everyday! Love ya!
Post a Comment